Focal Point
[SOLVED] WebFOCUS - Where to begin?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1461016782

June 12, 2008, 09:26 AM
webmeister
[SOLVED] WebFOCUS - Where to begin?
It looks like we're getting WebFOCUS where I work. My questions: Are there any books, documents, publications that relate to WebFOCUS? I'm interested in procuring materials that I can read up on before we get WebFOCUS.

There is nothing definite yet that says we will get the product, but I want to be prepared a little better than I am right now, in case we do get it.

Thank you in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webmeister,

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO
June 12, 2008, 09:34 AM
Mike Honeycutt
Searching Amazon will show there are books on WebFocus.

In my case, I heavily rely on this discussion group.
My programming skills are about 4 on a scale of 10,
and I religiously read the problems that are discussed
on this website. It is very manageable. When I find
something I know I'll use - concatenation, formatting
output, etc. - I copy it to a Word document with a brief
description so I can easily find it again.

Many people have recommended the training and though
I've never been, I'm confident it would make me
more productive.

Mike Honeycutt

WebFocus 7.6.6, Windows
June 12, 2008, 09:37 AM
Prarie
Welcome to WebFocus...You'll be ahead of the game cause you know Focus. If you search on the Forum...several people have asked about documentation and you should get some good answers. There are some mini tutorials at the IB development center. Check them out.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003
Have you looked at the technical documentation link in the upper right corner of this page? You can download manuals from this site.

Happy reading!

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
Webmeister,

Welcome to the club!
What type of environment will you be setting up? MRE? Dashboards? Self-Service applications?

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

As Ginny says, as you already have FOCUS, you should be able to access the technical documentation library, many manuals in PDF format. Depending on what you plan to do, your mainframe FOCUS code will often work out of the box if all access paths are set up properly. WebFOCUS is a wonderful reporting tool in my book.

Leah
I have found the various User Guides to be extremely helpful, expecailly if you plan to use the GUI tools in WebFOCUS. The guides can be accessed from the Documentation link under Services and Support from the IBI website. You do not have to have a site code or passsword to access these PDF documents or download them. Smiler

Prod: WF 8.005 Windows, all output formats
Dev: WF 8.005
You may want to check out your regional user's group for additional support. We have a very active group here in North Carolina that meets a couple times a year. It's a great way to network and build your contacts in the WF community. Best of luck!

Production RS: 7.6.2, 7.6.3 RS on AIX v.5.3, Mainframe, Windows 7.6.5; Development: 7.6.5 & 7.6.4 Databases:Oracle10g on AIX, Mainframe IDMS, SQL Server 2005/2008, Access
Peoplesoft Student, HR; JDE Financials