Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] UPCASE does not work on special characters

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] UPCASE does not work on special characters
 Login/Join

<JJI>
posted
Hi,

I have this strange behaviour with the use of the subroutine UPCASE. On the DEVELOPMENT machine the following code works perfect:

COMPUTE CMP_LANG/A255 = UPCASE(255,DES_LANGUAGE,'A255');  

EXAMPLES:
input : néelandais result : NÉERLANDAIS
input : François result : FRANÇOIS

But on the production machine the same code produces the following:

input : néelandais result : NéERLANDAIS
input : François result : FRANçOIS

I don't understand this behaviour because on both machine everything (so it seems) is the same.

- NLS settings on WF server and WF client are the same (codepage 137 American/English (Latin 1))
- WF version: 7.1.7
- SQL server: reporting against the same SQL data on the same server
- Regional setting on both servers are identical
- The code for the the dev. machine and the production machine are the same and ran from the same Dev studio/MRE or via a browser
- browser version is the same (IE 8)

Even more strange is that when I use this peace of code in a DEFINE or COMPUTE:
 IF UPCASE(255,DES_LANGUAGE,'A255') EQ 'NÉERLANDAIS' THEN 'N' ELSE.... 

I get 'N' as a correct result when DES_LANGUAGE is 'néerlandais' despite the fact that displaying the UPCASE of DES-LANGUAGE results in 'NéERLANDAIS' and not 'NÉERLANDAIS'

All ideas to solve this problem are welcome.

Kind regards,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Could it be that there are small differences in the OS? It might be that this is not webfocus related, but os-related.
If I were you, I would open a case with IB tech support. They should be able to give you a possible solution along with a reason of why this happens.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
<JJI>
posted
Hi GamP,

quote:
Could it be that there are small differences in the OS?

This is what came to my mind, when I investigated this problem and couldn't find any differences in the 3 WF environments. That is the reason why I tried my luck on this forum first. I was hoping somebody already came across this strange behaviour and could point me in the right direction. If not I'll need to open a case with IB Tech. Supp.

Thanks for you reaction.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
you may concider the use of "Les Pays Bas" in stad of "Neerlandais".....

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
<JJI>
posted
Hi Frank,

Thanks for your reply.
Since the data is about the language and not about a country we can't use your suggestion because this is not correct French and above al this the value for DES_LANGUAGE in the DB is supplied by an other application.

Kind regards,

Report This Post