Focal Point
[SOLVED] InfoAssist. How to build a custom parameter independent of physical source?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1467051396

April 17, 2020, 02:51 PM
Manoj
[SOLVED] InfoAssist. How to build a custom parameter independent of physical source?
Hi,

A dimension has millions of rows. An attribute of this dimension has approximately twenty distinct values. These values will not grow - they are pretty static. Also, before presenting those values I need to modify the values. For example, Dfn_Target/A20 = IF Source EQ 'A' THEN 'A1' ELSE IF Source EQ 'B' THEN 'B1' ELSE IF Source EQ 'C' THEN 'C1' ELSE Source (this is a simplified example of converting those distinct values). Here I need to refer to the dimension's attribute - Source. This will take a lot of time to process those millions of rows, build and present the expected values to the end user.

In order to speed up the the parameter values, is there anyway I can use to create the parameter 'Dfn_Target' and relate it to the source attribute? (Obviously, I need to transform the source attribute values as well, which I can do like above.)

What I am looking for is:
1. Build a parameter independent of a source column (like hard coded values) and
2. Associate that parameter to a source column.

We have no access to App Studio (and can't create mini dimensions either).

Please let me know if this can be achieved and if so how?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Manoj.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Manoj,

Newbie.
WebFOCUS 8.2.0.3.
Client 8.2.0.4.
April 17, 2020, 03:04 PM
BabakNYC
You can create a static list or a table that contains a list of values and use ACCEPT=SYNONYM in your master file to refer to it. See page 191 here: https://webfocusinfocenter.inf...fs5/wf8205crlang.pdf

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows
April 17, 2020, 04:26 PM
Manoj
Hi BabakNYC,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I have not understood it. We are new to the WebFOCUS product suite and using InfoAssist (and BI Portal) only. (My apologies I used the language syntax in my first post, but I notice all are doing the same.)

I have tried to understand the solution by searching this forum using ACCEPT=SYNONYM. However no success yet.

Can you please outline the steps relevant to InfoAssist and I can try on Monday?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Manoj.

Newbie.
WebFOCUS 8.2.0.3.
Client 8.2.0.4.
April 17, 2020, 05:01 PM
BabakNYC
Best practices in your case would be to modify the metadata (synonym or Master file) for the table you're using in InfoAssist to allow your field to have an list of acceptable values. This can be either hard coded values or a separate table that allows you to maintain the list of values. The syntax ACCEPT= can then point to them. The simplest would be to use ACCEPT=THIS OR THAT OR SUCH and so on. Once you have an accept list the values in that list will be presented to the user instead of scanning the entire dbms. This assumes you or someone with administrative access to the WebFOCUS Reporting Server can modify the synonym and add an ACCEPT list to the field in question.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows
April 22, 2020, 05:26 AM
Manoj
Thanks BabakNYC for a more detailed reply. I shall mark this discussion as CLOSED while I discuss within team how this can be progressed.

Kind regards,
Manoj.

Newbie.
WebFOCUS 8.2.0.3.
Client 8.2.0.4.
May 14, 2020, 05:42 AM
Manoj
This was solved by adding a static parameter to InfoAssist report.

Thanks and regards,
Manoj.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Manoj,

Newbie.
WebFOCUS 8.2.0.3.
Client 8.2.0.4.