Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Getting html tags in PDF output

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Getting html tags in PDF output
 Login/Join

<B_B>
posted
Hi,

I am getting extra unwanted HTML tags like -

and   in my output format which is in PDF. Surprisingly, if i change my output format to HTML (i.e.ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML) then i do not get these unwanted tags at all.

Please suggest how do i get rid of these unwanted HTML tags using output format as PDF only.
Web Focus Version -7.1.4

Thanks,
Bhavna.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <B_B>,

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Bhavna,
There are two reasons that I can think of that will put html tags in pdf output.
The first is that it is coded like that somewhere in your fex, the other one is that is in the data somewhere.
However, without a look at your code I can't be sure of either.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
can we have a look at ur code, so that it will be easy to debug.

WF Server: 7.1.4 on Z/OS and Linux, ReportCaster
Data: DB2, DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server, Oracle Output: HTML,PDF,Excel2K
WF Client: Servlet, CGI

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
and please include your code inside the
[code]
[/code] markers so we can actually see it

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
<John.lee>
posted
Hi Bhavna,
I've got a better idea.

Why don't you post all the information about your project.

I'm sure someone will do all the coding for you. That way you won't have to go out of your way to open a manual to learn.

I think that's a great idea.

- it will keep us busy while looking for employment.

You are welcome.

Please send me your address so that I can send you my bill.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
John.Lee,

Don't you think that with only 16 posts on this forum, your response is a little harsh? You actually haven't done a lot of coding for people asking questions here.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Bhavna, there is no relation to HTML and PDF in WebFOCUS, so what you're seeing in your PDF reports may look like HTML tags, but they're probably text strings caused by special characters in a column of data.

We cannot see what you posted originally, so, as Darin suggested, please post/repost using
[code]

[/code]
tags.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Yeah Francis! Good One

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Bhavna, are you getting your drill downs showing up in your pdf output? that's allowed, and it works quite well, but there's a way around it. I do shut off all my drilldowns when my user picks PDF output, but as Gamp and Darin and focusz and FrankieMartini say, we kinda need to see a specific example of your code so we can see what is going on.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
OK, so John.lee's contribution wasn't very original Razzer or he's being very clever!

Data value properties in graph

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Only 16 posts and one of them was uncalled for.
Pretty sad when you can't even come up original insults - when they aren't even necessary. I thought BB had a valid question but we just need more info to help out.

I (usually) stick to what my mama taught me about "If you can't say something nice..."

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
<B_B>
posted
I am getting extra unwanted tags in my outout.
Bhavna.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <B_B>,

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ok first of all, change this:
END
-IF &LINES EQ 0 THEN GOTO XXIT;
-XXIT
-HTMLFORM ERRPGCOMP-1.htm

-EXIT
to this:
END
-RUN
-IF &LINES GT 0 THEN GOTO XXIT;
-HTMLFORM ERRPGCOMP-1.htm
-XXIT
...currently, you have nowhere to go if your lines >0, you dump the error html in all cases. You don't want to do that, do you.
...Rerun, and then tell us what ,if any,unwanted tags you are still getting in your output
(fyi, just don't use -EXIT in production code...it crashes caster, so just don't, make it a good habit )
But this isn't bullet proof. if you have no pdf output, it might stil be possible to get a pdf report, if you have , say, SET EMPTYREPORT=ON.
then you're still not going to get your html error message...so you have some work to do.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<B_B>
posted
I have tried it this way also, but it does not seem to work fine.

Any other ideas?

Bhavna.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Not to be nitpicky, but I didn't get very far because of some issues with your code.
1. I would suggest a -RUN after the USE statements.
2. If you're just using &variables for date criteria, don't put them in defines, just use the &variables in the WHERE statements. Selection on defined fields cannot get passed to the RDBMS and can result in huge inefficiency.
3.There needs to be quote around &STR in your where (I'm assuming that it is a string.)
4. You are reading HOLDCOUNT in your second table, and counting ENTRIES, but nowhere in your first TABLE request where you create HOLDCOUNT do you reference the ENTRIES field. How does that work?
5. The JOIN CLEAR needs to reference a JOIN or an *
6. I'm guessing the surveycount stuff is just to remove zeroes. Use FTOA and you can skip all those defines
7. I don't think your COMPUTES (YES_PC and NO_PC) are going to give correct results - they work on summarized values but you're referencing an alpha field which, when summed, just gives the last value.
8. ditto #2 & #3 for you selection criteria again
9. You're define a whole pile of fields in you last TABLE that are never used. In fact, I can't even see a single field in your last TABLE that references ANYTHING from your previous code.
10. you have ACROSSCOLUMN/VALUE/TITLE references all over your stylesheet, but you have no ACROSS statements.
11. You have a pile of HEADING styling but no HEADING.
12. Before you test &LINES, you need a -RUN. that variable cannot be evaluated until after the previous FEX(s) are completed.

Also i would stay away from using -EXIT unless you need it for a specific reason. Can cause problems with report Caster
Your ending needs to look something like:
END
-RUN
-IF &LINES GT 0 THEN GOTO XXIT;
-HTMLFORM ERRPCOMP-1
-XXIT

I would first suggest cleaning up your code

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

<B_B>
posted
Thanks for your suggestions. None of them worked. Though i tried this -

Defined a new column and used the functions like - TRIM' and 'STRREP' and then sort it BY this new field.

Thanks for all your help. Thought will let you know.

Bhavna.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
4. You are reading HOLDCOUNT in your second table, and counting ENTRIES, but nowhere in your first TABLE request where you create HOLDCOUNT do you reference the ENTRIES field. How does that work?

Darin,

FYI. COUNT ENTRIES is a standard yet apparently undocumented way of counting something by something without having to know a column name. I have been using it for years.

Example:

TABLE FILE CAR
COUNT ENTRIES
BY COUNTRY
END

Good job on the diagnosis of Bhavna's fex. Wish I had the time.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
B, you didn't write this code did you? You inherited it, and you want us to untangle it for you?

Expert
posted Hide Post
Never seen ENTRIES in my XX years of FOCUS/WebFOCUS.

Oddly enough, this works too:

TABLE FILE CAR
COUNT ENTRIESQWQWQWQWQQWQW
BY COUNTRY
END

Francis