Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Images in PDF reports - fex throws IMAGE FILE NOT FOUND error

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Images in PDF reports - fex throws IMAGE FILE NOT FOUND error
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I would like an IBI support person to answer this question: Please explain why the all-GUI generated code below does not work when the &WFFMT parameter is set to PDF (the image can be seen in the Report Painter window, so I expect it to show in the report)?

The fex and image are in the same Repository folder.

-DEFAULT &WFFMT='PDF';
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
     CAR.BODY.SALES
BY  LOWEST CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
HEADING
" "
" "
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT &WFFMT.(<HTML,HTML>,<PDF,PDF>,<Excel 2007,XLSX>,<Excel 2000,EXL2K>,<Excel 2007 Formula,XLSX FORMULA>,<Excel 2000 Formula,EXL2K FORMULA>,<HTML Active Report,AHTML>,<Active Report for Adobe Flash Player,FLEX>,<Active Report for PDF,APDF>,<PowerPoint,PPT>).Select type of display output.
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     INCLUDE = IBFS:/EDA/EDASERVE/_EDAHOME/ETC/endeflt.sty,
$
TYPE=HEADING,
     IMAGE=IBFS:/WFC/Repository/Test/FrancisMariani/ib_logo.gif,
     POSITION=(+0.000000 +0.000000),
$
ENDSTYLE
END

It shows the image when &WFFMT is HTML, but throws an error when the value is PDF.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Bumping Up ↑

I'd really like to know why the GUI can generate code that does not work.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I can't get it to work with any except HTML, using your demo.

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!
-----------------------------
Product: WebFOCUS
Version: 8.1.04
Server: Windows 2008 Server

Master
posted Hide Post
I can't even get HTML to work in Francis' example using App Studio, although HTML works for me when his code is launched from the WebFOCUS web interface. Strange.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The code shown above was created in a folder in the Repository using Report Painter.

I tried a similar report where the program and image are in a directory in drive:\ibi\apps.

According to the documentation:

Creating Reports With WebFOCUS Language > Laying Out the Report Page > Adding an Image to a Report > Add an Image to a PDF, PS, or HTML Report With an Internal Cascading Style Sheet

quote:
file
PDF or PS report:

Is the name of the image file. It must reside on the WebFOCUS Reporting Server in a directory named on EDAPATH or APPPATH. If the file is not on the search path, supply the full path name.

When specifying a GIF file, you can omit the file extension.

"If the file is not on the search path, supply the full path name" - this does not work for PDF.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
NOW THIS IS VERY ODD!

I realize when I say "it didn't work" I should specify how I ran the fex, because from past experience I realized that a fex can behave differently when run from Dev Studio Explorer, Dev Studio GUI tool, or Web Resources via BI Portal.

So I tried running the code that didn't work earlier via the three different methods and they all work! I started with Web Resources via BI Portal, then the other two. I cannot explain this.

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
I know that AS/DS launches the web browser, rather IE or Chrome in some kind of compatibility mode, which may be part of the problem.

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!

<Emily McAllister>
posted
Hi Francis,

This is not an issue with the &WFFMT variable. The issue is that PDF output is processed on the Reporting Server, and your image is located in the Repository. If you move the image to the Reporting Server it will no longer have a problem finding it.
As a note, this will only happen in earlier versions of the Reporting Server. As of server (not client) version 7.7.05 the Reporting Server is able to locate files that are hosted in the Repository.

Also, Francis, if you wish to contact IBI correctly, please do not do so via the forum. Focal Point is meant primarily for developers to communicate with one another. While IBI representatives do read this forum, we do not typically intervene unless a user is unable to solve the issue without our help.

If you have a question for IBI, a bug report, or a new feature request, please use our case system to contact a representative directly. You can create a new case on our Tech Support site, or call our hotline to speak with a representative on the phone. Our American number is 1-800-736-6130, and our Contact Us page lists numbers for other countries.

If you would like to request a backport of the fix to the Reporting Server, let me know and I can create a case for you.

Emily McAllister
Focal Point Moderator

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
So nice to get rapped on the knuckles at my age.

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is not an issue with the &WFFMT variable. The issue is that PDF output is processed on the Reporting Server, and your image is located in the Repository. If you move the image to the Reporting Server it will no longer have a problem finding it.

I have to disagree.. Mine is on the reporting server. And if I point to a GIF it can't find it.
TYPE=TABHEADING, IMAGE=IBFS:/EDA/EDASERVE/public_record/ls_logo.jpg, POSITION=(+0.000000 -0.200000), $

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Emily McAllister:
...As a note, this will only happen in earlier versions of the Reporting Server. As of server (not client) version 7.7.05 the Reporting Server is able to locate files that are hosted in the Repository...
Focal Point Moderator

I am using Reporting Server 7.7.06, and I am experiencing at least the same problems as others have been in this thread. Images in the Repository cannot be accessed using Francis' test code, with the exception that HTML output works when the code is launched from the WebFOCUS portal -- not App Studio. So this explanation just further confuses me.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The problem is that the GUI generates code that does not work consistently. Why can you see the image after pointing and clicking to add it, but it fails when you run the report?

"The issue is that PDF output is processed on the Reporting Server, and your image is located in the Repository. If you move the image to the Reporting Server it will no longer have a problem finding it." - Why does the almighty GUI allow me to point to an image in the Repository if it won't work?

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
Yes, and I don't understand why App Studio tries to generate a base64-encoded embedded image -- minus the base64 code -- but the WebFOCUS portal implements an actual HTML link to the same image (And that works).

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
And I can't open a Tech Support case. We are NOT using App Studio, so Tech Support does not seem interested in Dev Studio issues.

Francis

<Emily McAllister>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Francis Mariani:
And I can't open a Tech Support case. We are NOT using App Studio, so Tech Support does not seem interested in Dev Studio issues.

Hi Francis,

I am not sure where you heard this, because Tech Support does continue to support Dev Studio. When you open a new case it should be one of the options on the dropdown for Product Area:

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I know you've closed this thread so you don't get any more knuckle raps; but I just mention that I just cheat for pdf, so I don't have to suffer the s&a of outrageious dev stu .
Copy all my images into the edatemp directory

CMD COPY C:\ibi\{wherever}\imageiwant.gif
then
TYPE=HEADING,IMAGE=imageiwant.gif,POSITION ...

works.
no agita.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
One of my co-workers found this as well.
https://techsupport.informatio...Fsps%2F73642006.html

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!

Expert
posted Hide Post
In my case, baseapp is already part of the APPPATH, so PREPENDPATH shouldn't be required.

Francis