Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     EDAMAIL corrupts file / does not format report name correctly

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
EDAMAIL corrupts file / does not format report name correctly
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I have an EXL07 (XLSX) spreadsheet report that has to go to each sales rep individually. Normally I would just sort the report with SALESREP as the first BY field and send it out with ReportCaster.

However in this case I'm using BYTOC to create separate sheets for each month of the year. Month (MTH2) is the first sort field, so bursting on SALESREP is out.

So I've turned to EDAMAIL as a substitute. (I'll create a loop and run the report sequentially for each sales rep.)

APP HOLD BASEAPP
SET COMPOUND=BYTOC

TABLE FILE H001
SUM

BY  H001.H001.MTH2 NOPRINT

ON TABLE HOLD AS MYREPORT FORMAT EXL07

END

EX EDAMAIL gp@casti.net, gp@chemo.com, Sales and Targets Report,a,XLSX,baseapp/MYREPORT

It does mail something, but not what I'm looking for. What I get is an attachment just called .xlsx (no prefix) that won't open even after being renamed to something like test.xlsx.

I've determined that the expected report does get saved properly in baseapp: I can copy it manually from the server to my machine and it opens as expected.

Any suggestions ?

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
when i run exactly the same thing in 7706M server, i get
(FOC1562) EDAMAIL: FILE XLSX NOT FOUND
[oh never mind... my mistake]

so maybe the edamail syntax has changed?
afaik, its undocumented.
Tony A will know how to fix...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
George,

I wonder whether the file type is XLSX or EXL07. In other WF commands, the WF "file type" does not necessarily match the Windows file type. Also, I might test with a good old EXL2K file...

Meanwhile, there is this alternative:

http://forums.informationbuild...=522105374#522105374

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
This works for me, with and without the BASEAPP stuff:

APP HOLD BASEAPP
-RUN

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES
BY SEATS NOPRINT
BY COUNTRY

ON TABLE SET COMPOUND BYTOC
ON TABLE HOLD AS MYEXL07 FORMAT EXL07
END
-RUN

EX EDAMAIL fm@myemail.com, fm@myemail.com, My EXL07 Report, a, XLSX, BASEAPP/MYEXL07
-RUN

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi George,

Not sure whether the release that you state in your signature is the current one, but I would urge you to raise a case for this.

I think that 7.7.06 is the minimal release that you may need for multi-tabbed EXL07 output with EDAMAIL.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Francis,

The same thing is happening with your example. The file gets created just fine and stored in baseapp, but EDAMAIL somehow manages to mangle it - removes the prefix and sends an attachment called .xlsx that is only 5 bytes long.

But I can use pscp to copy it from our Linux server to my desktop where it opens just fine.

I should point out that I have the same issue if I make the file type HTML.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the problem has something to do with one of the servers being Linux?

Or not enough -RUN statements...

The following works in an all-Windows multi-tier environment - I receive four five emails (one per COUNTRY) with spreadsheets that have multiple tabs based on SEATS (I don't use APP HOLD. I have -RUN after the HOLD format EXL07 and the EX EDAMAIL.):

SET HOLDLIST=PRINTONLY
-RUN

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
COUNTRY
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
ON TABLE HOLD AS HCOUNTRY
END
-RUN

-SET &COUNTRY_COUNT = &LINES;

-REPEAT END_REPEAT1 &COUNTRY_COUNT TIMES

-READFILE HCOUNTRY

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES
BY SEATS NOPRINT
BY COUNTRY

WHERE COUNTRY EQ '&COUNTRY'

ON TABLE SET COMPOUND BYTOC
ON TABLE HOLD AS MYEXL07 FORMAT EXL07
END
-RUN

EX EDAMAIL fm@myemail.com, fm@myemail.com, My EXL07 Report for &COUNTRY, a, XLSX, MYEXL07
-RUN

-END_REPEAT1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
I think I'll have to open a case as per Tony's suggestion.

Francis: Your latest (appreciated !) effort still is a no-go, even with the COMPOUND BYTOC commented out.

I'm reluctant to upgrade to 7706 even if that would fix this immediate issue - we will probably take a big leap of faith to version 8 sometime in the next 6 months anyway, and two upgrades in one year is one too many - specially with all the horror stories that V8 seems to dish up ...

In addition to opening a case I think I'll investigate the OS mail commands as per Waz's suggestion on an earlier post.