Focal Point
[TIP] Including code in your FocalPoint Post

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/148101524

April 22, 2010, 10:26 AM
Francis Mariani
[TIP] Including code in your FocalPoint Post
This has been mentioned many times, but perhaps we need to "sticky" this topic for a while...

When you include code (WebFOCUS, HTML, JavaScript, CSS, etc.) you should use the button at the top right of the "Post A Reply" pop-up.

Clicking this button will add
[code]
[/code]
tags to your post.

Paste the code between these tags.

Without the code tags, any HTML code included in a post will become part of the HTML of the web browser page and will either cause a problem with a page or might just not display. Including the code tags disables HTML translation and displays the code as-is. It is good practice to use the code tags for any kind of code.

Here is example code:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES
BY COUNTRY
END

<style type="text/css">
body
{
font-family: "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif;
font-weight: bold;
size: 30px;
}
</style>

<script type="text/javascript">
alert('ha ha');
</script>

You can also use this technique when displaying report output where there is more that one space between column data. For example, I have pasted report output without code tags:

COUNTRY SALES
--------- -----
ENGLAND 12000
FRANCE 0
ITALY 30200
JAPAN 78030
W GERMANY 88190

Here it is with code tags:

COUNTRY   SALES
--------- -----
ENGLAND   12000
FRANCE        0
ITALY     30200
JAPAN     78030
W GERMANY 88190

Nicer, innit?

I hope this helps the newer members of the forum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
April 22, 2010, 05:35 PM
Kerry
Thanks Francis for sharing the tip with all. Let's make this a sticky for a few days. Smiler

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.