Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Need help with RDF add-on filtering:

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Need help with RDF add-on filtering:
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
Hey all,

It's been a while!

So, we've acquired the barely released RDF-Templates (Nov '15) add-on CM package that gives you like 26 different responsive templates that are supposed to enable you to add page-level filtering to your BI portals by adding them within the templates provided. In the documentation for these templates, it gives you a step-by-step tutorial for how to go about adding filters for content referenced to from within the template's content panels. The tutorial filters work as they are designed to. When I go to add my own filters for our own content, the filter selections never get passed to my content after hitting refresh. I have been digging into the .css and .js and can't figure out why they aren't or what is different.

Is there something like a dependency I'm missing within my content? Does the filtering within the templates require me to use a certain stylesheet within my content for them to work properly? Angular.sty? Or angular.css? I did notice the jQuery for the refresh functionality is sitting within responsive-page.js, but nowhere can I find where the filter values are getting passed upon reload of the page. ???

Does anyone here have the rdf-templates add-on and have been successful in getting the filtering to work for their own content? If so, how did you get it to work?

Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm also interested. We may need to do the same

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I have built 1 dashboard with these templates. Not sure what version or release of the RDF-Templates we have but I assume its same.

But "Refresh" button on the top right is just calling "Task & Animations" - Load task. Like this: IbComposer_triggerExecution("load", 1);
So it is refreshing all the iframes you have in the template.

What I did for us is I made new function "LoadData()" which calls the previously mentioned function. So all these custom onClick/Change selection etc cases we use: Task trigger type is "JavaScript "and function is LoadData. I have not figured out if AppStudio trigger type javascript supports parameters, if it did it would be so awesome..

function LoadData(){
//If using new "RDF" templates then add "Load" function to refresh reports when SQL execution is done.
IbComposer_triggerExecution("load", 1);
//Loading is done we need to remove "loading" window.
showLoadingSplash(false);
//Additional logic goes here.
IbComposer_populateDynamicCtrl("edit2");
}

If I misunderstood your question I can try to answer better.

Regards,

Release: WebFOCUS 8104, AppStudio: 8105
Output: HTML,Excel,Active Reports

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hey SSander,

Thank you for replying and giving your 2 cents on the matter. I'm glad that there is more than just me (if just 1 other) that has been attempting to use these templates.

So, I also dug into the Js that triggers the onclick event for the refresh div element and saw that it is doing what you described. The thing I'm getting held up on is my filtering control selections (whether default or explicitly selected by the user) are not getting passed to the content I've referenced within the iframe panels in the template. Why do they get passed to the content panels in the tutorial and not when I use my own content? What exactly is causing the control values to get passed to all the iframe content? In the tutorial there is no use of the Tasks & Animations panel explicitly, but only the load task implicitly. I also see no Js events set under any of the elements' properties, or anything really to go from within the Embedded JavaScript/CSS panel either.

You've said you used a template once for a dashboard of yours. Did you ever attempt to pass filter values from controls to that dashboard content? If so, how'd you get it to work?

Thanks for your time and help!

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I have 3 additional filters defined "customerID", "current month/year" and additional range. What I did was just right click on "report" elements referenced reports. Then added manually the filter elements ( for custom stlyling ) and then pointed the right parameter to right filter element.
That was it.

Now when I read your first post again - are you refering the "Common filter"/"Magically refresh" concept? That values from common filter are not getting passed correctly?

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
SSander,

Thanks for the update! When you say you added the filter elements manually, do you mean you chose them individually from the ribbon up top in the HTML Composer tool, right? Also, how did you go about pointing the parameters to the filter elements? Just by utilizing the Parameters tab, am I right? This was the process I took myself. Why is it working for you and within the tutorial for the templates, and not for my content? Ugh...

Well, thanks for letting me know what you went about doing to get your filtering working. I wonder what I'm doing differently if anything. Maybe I'll try doing it all from scratch again, and see if things are different this time round.

Basically, I "manually" created a bunch of drop-down controls from the ribbon options up top placing them within the four supplied filter-paneln elements that are collapsible during run-time. I then added a bunch of content into the various content-frame elements by referencing them. After which, I went to my Parameters panel, that already has those 4 params that the template uses, and tied all the controls to their corresponding parameters, chaining where needed. I then save and run the HTML document. Upon load, all I get is my "Please wait..." HTML loading indefinitely within the content-frame panels because none of the parameters ever got passed. ???? Am I doing things out of order? This is so frustrating. This very same parameter setup works just fine in another HTML document that uses it. Why not this one also? Hope I figure this out soon...

Maybe I'll open up a case... (That's always hit and miss though.)

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hey all,

So, I FINALLY figured out my issue. Kind of annoying, but nonetheless...

It was all the -DEFAULTH commands' faults... Lesson learned.

You can't reference reports/graphs in an iframe within HTML Composer and get the filtering to work if you've set -DEFAULTH values for the contents' unresolved parameters. You have to make sure they all say -DEFAULT versus -DEFAULTH or you just borked your document.... Sheesh! That's annoying.

You basically have to delete all the "H"s off of your -DEFAULTs first, then reference them into the HTML document and save that, then go back and add the "H"s back to your -DEFAULTs.

Glad I solved that! haha Thanks again for all your help!

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, we comment out the DEFAULTH's to get the parameters to work as well

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waz:
Yes, we comment out the DEFAULTH's to get the parameters to work as well

Ah sorry didnt think of that.

Yes we do the same. Smiler

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Well, somehow I missed the boat on that one. Makes me feel like a newb all over again. lol

There's always something new to learn, right?

Thanks again everyone.