Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Apply CSS class from stylesheet to Maintain form control

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Apply CSS class from stylesheet to Maintain form control
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
In Maintain 7.6.1, I'm trying to apply a CSS class from a stylesheet to a Text control on a form. I'm using the following code to apply the stylesheet to the form:

winform show_inactive frmMain;
frmMain.cssname = "wfservers_dev.css";
winform show frmMain;

wfservers_dev.css is in my project's path.

I also had dragged the .css file from Dev Studio onto the form in the MDE window.

According to the ocumentation, you're supposed to be able to apply a particular class from the stylesheet with syntax of:

WINFORM SET form.control.CLASS TO classname;

So I have this in my code:

winform set frmMain.MainFormTitleTXT.CLASS TO "redbg";

where "redbg" is a class in my stylesheet defined as:

.redbg {
background-color: #ff0000;
}

When I run my Maintain I get the following error message:

(FOC03610) CLASS is not a field in (or member of) type WF_FRMMAIN

It seems like the syntax shown in the documentation is wrong. It doesn't seem to like "formname.control.CLASS". I tried using CLASSNAME instead. I don't get the error and my app runs but the CSS class doesn't get applied to the Text control.

Anyone know if "formname.control.CLASSNAME" is the correct syntax to apply a CSS class to a form control? Is the classname supposed to be in double quotes as well? The docs don't specify that either. I can't seem to find any more information on this anywhere.

Confused

Thanks!

FOCUS 7.7.03
WebFOCUS 8.0.x/8.1
z/OS, Windows

Posts: 54 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: September 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Just figured out the answer my own question by running my Maintain app and viewing the HTML source in Internet Explorer.

The correct syntax is:

formname.control.cssclass = "CSS class name";

to apply a particular class to a control.
It's ".cssclass" not ".class" after control.

I'll have to submit a request to have this information corrected in the "Developing WebFOCUS Maintain Applications 7.6.1" manual.
It has the incorrect info in the PDF file I've been using.

So now I can apply the class fine but I can't override in my .css file some of the CSS attributes that are being set by Maintain like "text-decoration". If I specify something like:

.myclass {
 color: lime;
}

then the control does turn lime in color (lime text and lime border). But doing something like:

.myclass {
 text-decoration: blink;
}

has no effect on the control because in the HTML source of my running app Maintain has a text-decoration in a
<style></style>
block within the div. Here's what I see:

<div class="myclass" id=MainFormTitleTXT style="position:absolute;top:10;left:10;width:640;
height:31;visibility:hidden;font-family:Arial;font-weight:700;
font-size:14pt;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;
border-style:solid;border-width:1px;text-align:center;"
 tabindex=-1>WebFOCUS Server Inventory (Dev)</div>

My new question is: is there a way to override the "text-decoration: none" in the
<style></style>
block with "text-decoration: blink (or whatever)" from the "myclass" class defined in my .css file?

Thanks!

FOCUS 7.7.03
WebFOCUS 8.0.x/8.1
z/OS, Windows

Posts: 54 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: September 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is possible by using the !important rule in your style sheet, e.g.
.myclass {
 text-decoration: blink !important;
}

This forces your style sheet rule over the normal cascade order, which is
1.Browser default
2.External style sheet
3.Internal style (within the head tags)
4.Inline style inside tag

Maintain uses Internal styles for it's own classes and inline when you change an objects properties. you can add and external style sheet, which is, of course, the least important.

I found that by using my style sheets and NEVER changing the maintain form element properties (leaving them as default), then the maintain code will not have it's style imposed. This is a debatable area as changing the font will add text-decoration:none to the inline style sheet. Working in this manner also reduces the code produced. You can help by setting the form properties at the start to be roughly what you want, This sets the internal styles, and then just changing the styles of certain elements within your style sheet.

The error in the documents has been there for quite some time, though I think that the 706 training material is correct.

Hope this helps.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
!important was just what I needed. Guess I need to get myself a good CSS book. Funny, it turns out that "blink" is not supported in Internet Explorer 6's broken CSS model anyway. Too bad it's currently the only browser we use throughout the company. Looks like I may have to create an animated GIF. Thanks for the help, Alan.

FOCUS 7.7.03
WebFOCUS 8.0.x/8.1
z/OS, Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Mmm. I was hoping that you were using 'blink' just as an example, not really wanting to use it at all.

CSS1 and 2 specifications do state that a browser may conform without rendering the blink on a element. IE has chosen to do this.

The W3C Web accessibility Content guidelines state - " Ensure that moving, blinking, scrolling or auto-updating objects or pages may be paused or stopped by the user". The reason is that this may affect people with dyslexia, learning disabilities, visual impairment or photosensitive epilepsy.

Many usability and accessibility experts are unsure of the legality of this type of text or image animation under various legislation regarding site accessibility worldwide. All advice not to use it if at all possible.

Lecture over.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I won't be using blink anyway. I'm aware that it's in bad taste to use it anyway. The main issue here was that I wanted to be able to use properties in a user stylesheet and be able to override the properties generated by Maintain, which I'm able to do using !important. So, yes, I was just using blink as an example while I was trying to understand how to use my user stylesheet. I noticed "line-through" doesn't work for text-decoration either but underline and overline are both support on IE.

I wasn't trying to make my Maintain form look like a Myspace page *shudder* or anything. Razzer Thanks for the tips though.

FOCUS 7.7.03
WebFOCUS 8.0.x/8.1
z/OS, Windows