Focal Point
Report Library Email Notification

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1531096162

December 14, 2007, 01:25 PM
devon11
Report Library Email Notification
Hi All.
I would like to use the email feature to notify users, however, our users do not got to the library directly instead they access it through a dashboard view.

I've tried providing the dashboard view URL as the 'Report Library URL' in the Report Caster schedule but this results in an invalid URL as RC tacks on report/version info to the URL.
I also tried removing the Report Library URL value and including the dashboard URL in the body of the message. This does work, however, RC inserts the dynamic URL it builds (as described above) in the email body.

Has anyone run into this type of issue before and what type of workaround did you use? Thanks in advance.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows 2003 Server
Output: PDF & Excel
December 17, 2007, 09:10 AM
Fernando
Devon,

I want to make sure that I understand your request. It sound you you have the following:

1) A schedule that creates a report that outputs to report library.
2) users who log into a dashboard application and click on a library tab and then expand the appropriate items to see the report.
3) You wish to send the users an email that has link to
a) the dashboard
b) See a) and then the report library tab
c) See b) and expand the appropriate items
d) See c) and then show the report.

Is this correct?

Fernando

Prod WF 8.1.04, QA WF 8.2.03, Dev WF 8.2.03
December 17, 2007, 09:20 AM
devon11
Yes that sounds about right. My problem is with step #3.
I can't send the link to the dashboard out as the 'Library URL' since that gets manipulated by RC. I can provide it in the body of the email message but RC inserts the 'Library URL' it generates into the email.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows 2003 Server
December 17, 2007, 12:05 PM
Fernando
Devon,

Post an example of what your current email looks like and hilight what is wrong with it.

Fernando

December 17, 2007, 12:36 PM
devon11
With the dashboard URL in the 'Report Library URL' the message body looks like this:

Please click each of the following link(s) to view the report(s).

http://hostname/ibi_apps/worp/jsp/WORP_Views.jsp?action...12rcmmqft1&version=1

Note the id and version is added to the URL.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows 2003 Server
December 18, 2007, 10:29 AM
Fernando
Devon,

I am correct in saying that this URL will open the report in library and you really want to open the dashboard first?

If so, then you may want to build a fex in the dashboard that takes this URL as a parameter and then opens it. That you way you can build a call the dashboard, and execute your fex which would then open up this URL.

Fernando

August 05, 2014, 02:05 PM
Chad Hauskins
Devon and Fernando,
I am having a problem when using Report Caster to schedule a report with the Report Library Email notification is sending my users the incorrect URL to all reports using the Report Library feature when run. My users now have to login into the dashboard to find the report file in the report library, instead of being able to just click on the link. This did not start happening until we upgraded to Webfocus 8...

WebFOCUS 8.0.08
DEVStudio 8.0.08
Windows 7
All Outputs
August 05, 2014, 04:26 PM
J
I am pretty sure you need to use the
RESTful Web Services License for this kind of thing in WF8. Are you still using Dashboards or did you convert those over to Portals?

If for some reason they are already logged in when they open that email you might get away with setting up an alternate security zone but you would have to talk with an IBI rep about that.

Also, you should update your tag to include WF8 release info.

EDIT: Checkout Viewing Library Content >> Email a Library Report and related documentation

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J,

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs
August 06, 2014, 08:51 AM
Chad Hauskins
Thank you for your time and knowledge. I wish, we had RESTful. I am merely sending an email notification to an access list with a dynamic URL to the report in the report library, so I hope this is not something we have to purchase additionally. This functionality was provided in Webfocus version 7... We just updated to version 8.

WebFOCUS 8.0.08
DEVStudio 8.0.08
Windows 7
All Outputs