Focal Point
Graph by using Across value

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1531097331

August 02, 2004, 09:40 PM
RB
Graph by using Across value
Hi,
I want to display the graph by using two across fields like this..

GRAPH FILE TABLE1
SUM DOLLARS
ACROSS YEAR
ACROSS QUARTER AS ' ' COLUMNS 'QTR1' AND 'QTR2' AND 'QTR3' AND 'QTR4'
END

I am getting the graph right with appropriate values. On x-axis instead of displaying the year I want to display the quarter value like qtr1 qtr2 etc., now it displays 2003 and 2004 years.
How can I do that?

One more question is:
When a user clicks on a quarter it should show the detail part of what accounted for those total dollars. How do I pass the value for a quarter.
If I type
Quarter=A2. It is taking the year value instead of quarter value.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
August 05, 2004, 06:46 PM
RB
I figured out how to do this. I guess graph does not allow two ACROSS fields. I joined two fields in to one in my DEFINE statement.
(QTRY/A6= QTR||YR)

But now I have one more problem.

For Across field, I need to diplay all the 8 columns(2year data: 8 quarters) no matter what the field value is. In my graph, if one of the columns has zero dollars, it is not showing up in the Graph. How do I make the graph display 8 quarters eventhough one of the quarters has zero dollars.

My code is like this:
this is for a bar graph
GRAPH FILE XXX
SUM dollars
ACROSS QTRY AS ' '
END

So now on my Y-axis, I get dollars for each quarter on X-axis. But when a quarter has zero dollars the graph skips that quarter and displays rest of the quarters.
Any idea how to deal with this?

Thank you.
August 05, 2004, 08:59 PM
<Pietro De Santis>
This works in a TABLE so it should work in a GRAPH:

ACROSS DAY_DESC AS ''
COLUMNS MON AND TUE AND WED AND THU AND FRI AND SAT AND SUN
In your case the COLUMNS statement would be:

COLUMNS 2003-01 AND 2003-02 AND 2003-03 AND 2003-04
AND 2004-01 AND 2004-02 AND 2004-03 AND 2004-04

The values in the COLUMNS statement may have to Dialog Manager variables that you create based on the selected years for the graph.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Mabel>,
August 10, 2004, 09:41 PM
RB
This works like a charm.

I did this previously, not sure why it did not work at that time though. Might have done some mistake. Thanks a lot Pietro.