Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Has anyone simulated a Box Plot graph with WebFOCUS?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Has anyone simulated a Box Plot graph with WebFOCUS?
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I've been reqeusted to to build a Statistical Distribution graph or box plot of cycle time data. I know I need to calculate the median, upper and lower quartiles, and the minimum and maximum data values. The actual display has been the chanlleng. Any suggestions out there?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Laure,

Laure

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03 - MRE, BID, - WindowsXP - Oracle 9i, SQLServer, DevStudio 7.7.3 - Apache Tomcat , Output: HTML, Excel 2013 and PDF

Posts: 78 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 07, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
are you going to Summit, Laure?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Yes. I'm looking forward to it.

Laure

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03 - MRE, BID, - WindowsXP - Oracle 9i, SQLServer, DevStudio 7.7.3 - Apache Tomcat , Output: HTML, Excel 2013 and PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
ok, catch up with me there and we'll discuss.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Laure,

Do you have a sample of what you desire to achieve which you can post? Maybe even a link to an Excel file? GIF? JPG?

Doug

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
GRAPHTYPE(124) GENERATES A BOX PLOT.

This can not be done via the GUI however.
An API call to set the graphtype
and then ensure you have 5 data points to graph

Min, Max, Median, 1 and 3rd quartiles.

Here's a sample against the CAR file that I received from Vicky Lozovksy.

DEFINE FILE CAR
 Median/D12.2=( CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST + CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST ) / 2;
 UL/D12.2=CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST + ( CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST  / 5) ;
 LL/D12.2=CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST - ( CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST  / 5) ;
END
GRAPH FILE CAR
SUM CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST
CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST
Median
UL
LL
BY COUNTRY
ON GRAPH PCHOLD AS HOLD FORMAT PNG
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHDEFAULT OFF
ON GRAPH SET VZERO OFF
ON GRAPH SET HAXIS 770
ON GRAPH SET VAXIS 405
ON GRAPH SET UNITS PIXELS
-*ON GRAPH SET LOOKGRAPH VBAR
ON GRAPH SET GRMERGE ADVANCED
ON GRAPH SET GRMULTIGRAPH 0
ON GRAPH SET GRLEGEND 0
ON GRAPH SET GRXAXIS 1
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHSTYLE *
setGraphType(124);
setTemplateFile("/images/tdg/template/IBISouthWestern.txt");
setReportParsingErrors(false);
setSelectionEnableMove(false);
setPlace(true); 
setTransparentBorderColor(getChartBackground(),true); 
setTransparentBorderColor(getSeries(0),true);
setTransparentBorderColor(getSeries(1),true);
setTransparentBorderColor(getSeries(2),true);
setTransparentBorderColor(getSeries(3),true);
setTransparentBorderColor(getSeries(4),true);
setTransparentBorderColor(getSeries(5),true);
setTransparentBorderColor(getSeries(6),true);
setTransparentBorderColor(getSeries(7),true);
setTransparentBorderColor(getSeries(8),true);
setTransparentBorderColor(getSeries(9),true);
setTransparentBorderColor(getSeries(10),true);
setDepthRadius(0);
setDepthAngle(0);
setDisplay(getY1MajorGrid(),false);
setDisplay(getO1MajorGrid(),false);
ENDSTYLE
END

Laure

Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks Laure,

This is what we spkoe about at Summit... I like it! Smiler

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
<Meghan>
posted
Is there any way to make the bars horizontal instead of vertical?

Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I don't know of one. Vicky is your best bet.

Laure

<Meghan>
posted
Vicky who? Smiler

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Graph Types

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Tom, the Boxplot graph type is documented in the link. I recieved the info from Vicky Lozovksy of IBI at Summit last year. She preseneted a session on graphing. Don't know if it will ever be fully documented, but it is available.

Graphtype(124)

Laure

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Laure and Gang,

Thanks. I did not search for that particular Graphtype, and, it is not in the WebFOCUS Graphics manual either. So, maybe Meghan will try other numbers around that series for her task!

Say Hi to all! Cold in Florida? Must be Global Warming!!! Big Grin

EDIT: It is not documented in the Perspective For Java Manual, either!!! Perspective for Java

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom Flynn,

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
<Meghan>
posted
Thanks all. I'll try and ping Vicky to see what she has to say. I did try other random numbers around 124 (all the way to 140 actually) with no luck. And yes, sadly this graph type is not documented anywhere.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Just FYI: Check out "boxplots" in WebFOCUS HELP (F1)... It's there now... Not too verbose. But, quite adequate.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206