Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Crystal Reports vs WebFocus for mail/merge document creation

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Crystal Reports vs WebFocus for mail/merge document creation
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi All,

I'm a webfocus developer(mostly hand code..not much GUI) that is taking over the maintenance of a mail/merge process that is currently in Crystal. I'd rather do this with webfocus but am concerned about re-creating all the formatting that is already setup in the document that is currently produced. Are there any users out there that use both webfocus and crystal that can share pros and cons of these two different reporting tools?

Thanks in advance.
Jim

WF DevStu 5.2.6/WF Srv 5.2.4/Win NT 5.2

Posts: 118 | Location: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: May 04, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The only pros I can think of CR is that it is almost free and a lot of people think to know how to use it.
I have been looking at some of these reports, and what I think you can do is use the sql script for the first selection of the data.
The lay-out work must be done again but use the GUI for that part, it will give a big help.
I did the same with several reports we have made with Access.
success!

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
<RickW>
posted
I've been doing Crystal (v 8.0) to WebFOCUS conversions for the last year. I think it's really just a preference. I had some pretty gnarly financial reports with borders and such and had to rewrite some of the stored procedures due to the way the data was formatted and fed to Crystal.

The old adage "if it's not broken don't fix it" comes to mind.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. I would like to hear more if onyone else would like to add anything.

RickW,
You say you have been converting from Crystal to WF. Is that because of your preference? What is mostly used in your company?
I would prefer to use WF because that is what I know(except I haven't dug into the GUI yet), but Crystal is scattered around all over in our company and only a few people have access to WF.
What's the best way to get started using the GUI more to develope reports. Are there any resourses that can kick-start someone to teach themselves?

Jim

Posts: 118 | Location: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: May 04, 2005Report This Post
<RickW>
posted
The company i work for decided to standardize the entire reporting environment with WebFOCUS.

I haven't used the WF GUI too much at all (old timer coder). I was also having issues with 5.2.8 and the GUI not recognizing HOLD files that I wanted to report from - so that was another excuse to hand code it.

7.6.x has some pretty cool Advanced Graph stuff and the Coordinated PDFs look pretty sweet too.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
RickW,

Did the decision to standardize on WebFocus go over well? Do you have a lot of WF users or are most of your rpts/apps developed by only a few? What did your company do for training?

Jim

<RickW>
posted
Several years prior, they tried COGNOS and it didn't work out (don't remember why at the moment - I'll ask Carol D. if she want's to comment on this). There was also a relatively high familiarity with the FOCUS language so that probably helped the decision.

I would say that there's a fairly high degree of satisfaction with the product from an IT area and end-user perspective.

We have a good number of end-users developing their own reports I think many of them may not be using the GUI.

For training, I think we had IBI come in a few times, user group meetings, and a few even got to go to FUSE as well.

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
We tried COGNOS before WebFOCUS. We get lots of outside files that need to be joined in reports. COGNOS was too slow for us using UNIONS, so we switched to WebFOCUS which has powerful joining capabilities. WebFOCUS has allowed us to eliminate almost all of our mainframe processing.

Our users are mostly hand coding, some have tried the GUI and found limitations or had it clobber the code. I've heard the GUI is getting better but I'm an old time coder too.

WebFOCUS has been very successful in the hands of our end users and in systems. We used IBI for our training, however, we customized the class to teach more of the core language.

Good Luck!

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post