Focal Point
Outer Join with a Dimension?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1601073541

December 22, 2005, 10:41 AM
Moogle
Outer Join with a Dimension?
Hi Team,

Is there any way to setup an outer join with a dimension?

For instance, I'm joining a location table to a booking table (airline industry) in a dimension. Any report based on this dimension will show me all locations that have bookings. I want to see all locations, and see booking information next to the locations that have bookings and blanks/zeros next to the locations that don't.

Possible?

Cheers,

Joey
December 28, 2005, 12:02 PM
<DocServices>
Hi Joey,

There was an outer join feature, but it was only supported for certain types of databases. It's documented in the Join chapter (chapter 15)of Creating Reports With WebFOCUS Language 7.1(DN4500695.0905). If you are using a database that's not supported, you can use the MATCH command, which is its own chapter in the same manual (Chapter 16: Merging Data Sources).

In case you are using version 5.3, please refer to the 5.3 version of the same manual (DN4500580.0904). The information on joins is in chapter 14 and the information on Match can be found in chapter 15.

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year,
Jenn
January 04, 2006, 03:33 PM
Moogle
Hi Jenn,

I'm familiar with building joins and using the Match command when building reports. This post refers to doing this sort of thing at the dimension level. I see no way to modify the join types when building dimensions and joins in the dimension builder tool. Do you know of any way to do this?

Cheers,

Joey

-WebFOCUS 8.2.01 on Windows
January 10, 2006, 11:11 AM
<DocServices>
Hi Joey,

I checked with a product manager here and he suggested that you contact Information Builders' Customer Support Services, either call 1-800-736-6130 or access InfoResponse online. Please be ready to provide some detailed information as listed here: http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/before_you_call.jsp.

Regards,
Jenn