Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Using Spanish characters in a report

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Using Spanish characters in a report
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I have a fex file that prints a report which needs to include the Spanish character capital I, acute accent.
It looks like this

I tried typing it in from the keyboard, but it will not save in the file.

I tried DEFINE'ing it like so CIAA/A2=HEXBYT(CD, 'A1') using both its hex value (cd) and its decimal value (205).

No luck. All I get are question marks.

Any clues?

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
G,

What is your out put and what is your NLS setting for both your server and client? I had to make sure that i was using an NLS setting that included a Spanish character set. Also, it might be worth trying a unicode font.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Eric.

My output is a PDF file. The server/client NLS setting is something I'll need to look into and determine the system-wide affect if changed. Is there an easy way to check that setting?

But I'm hoping for a simple in-line coding solution.

I may just make the line (with the special character) an image file and imbed it into the text.

Thanks again.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
I may just make the line (with the special character) an image file and imbed it into the text.

I would not consider that the simple solution.

Check the NLS settings on the client server by navigating to the Administration Console > Configuration > NLS Settings. For the WebFOCUS Client Code Page we use 1252 - Western European.

Check the NLS settings on the reporting server(s) by navigating to the Administration Console > Reporting Servers > Remote Services. Select a Reporting Server and click on the Server Console button. Then look for Workspace > Miscellaneous > NLS - nlscfg.err. For CODE_PAGE we use 1252.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Style the column:
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=NAME, FONT='ARIAL UNICODE MS', JUSTIFY=LEFT,$

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
@Francis

Thanks, the Admin Console is not accessible by me, but by our Sys Admin. If I don't find an in-code solution soon, I will pursue your suggestion.

@Tom

I tried FONT='ARIAL UNICODE MS' but that did not work. Let me give you more specifics about what I'm doing, then you might make another suggestion.

1. I DEFINE a variable for the TABLE used for the report:

CIAA/A2=HEXBYT(205, 'A1');

205 is supposed to be the decimal value for Capital I Acute Accent

2. This is line 5 in the HEADER of the report:

"

3. And I also include:

TYPE=HEADING,
LINE=5,
OBJECT=FIELD,
ITEM=1,
WIDTH=2.750,
FONT='ARIAL UNICODE MS',
$

The result: a box, not a capital i with acute accent

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Works for me in 8.07 without any styling.
Must heed Francis' advice, and, probably check with IBI...

DEFINE FILE CAR
  SPAN_I/A1 WITH COUNTRY = HEXBYT(205, 'A1');
END
TABLE FILE CAR PRINT *
HEADING 
"Spanish I: <SPAN_I"
" "
 ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
END
-EXIT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom Flynn,

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
And this works for me:

DEFINE FILE CAR
  SPAN_I/A1 WITH COUNTRY = 'Í';
END
TABLE FILE CAR PRINT *
HEADING
"SPANISH I: <SPAN_I"
" "
 ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
END
-EXIT

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis,
Hope all is well(outside of App Studio)!
Yep, was going to use the keyboard, but, decided to let WebFOCUS do it as the issue may be coming from data...
Probably code-page as you stated earlier...
Tom

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Still not working.

I'm using WF 7705.

Will check NLS seetings.

Thanks Tom, Francis.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
If it's at all relevant here's my 2 cents: I played around with NLS settings yesterday (because I have a similar problem displaying Spanish accents). However I'm saving in DOC format rather than PDF and displaying the output using OpenOffice. Messing with the NLS didn't help.

What I found is that opening the output as UNICODE - UTF8 does display all of the Spanish accents correctly. I don't know if there is a way to force that translation into PDF output.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post