Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Hard filter in WF Synonym

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Hard filter in WF Synonym
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

I am trying to add a hard filter in the WF synonym so that any use of it will exclude certain records in the source database (IS_VALID = 1). I can create filters, but these come up as parameter objects to add to reports so it doesn't meet my need. I will be attending training next month, but I was hoping to figure this out now. I've searched the forum and found nothing.

Thanks,
Josh
WebFOCUS 8.004

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Josh Morel,

WebFOCUS 8004
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64-bit
All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Have you tried using the FILTER keyword?

I haven't used it before, not sure if it works in your case.

DEV: WF 7.6.10
TEST: WF 7.6.10
PROD: WF 7.6.10
MRE: WF 7.6.4
OS/Platform: Windows
Dev Studio: WF 7.7
Output: HTML, EXCEL, PDF, GRAPH, LOTUS, CSV

Posts: 117 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: February 29, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
In Developer Studio:
Click on Help --> Contents --> Search, type in Filter, click List.
look for Describing a Filter: FILTER, the 10th selection down...

If you need a GUI example, #12 is Creating Filters in a Synonym.

Will still have to have a WHERE statement in the focexec, I think...

hth

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
How about incorporating the condition into the JOIN conditions in a Business View synonym?

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I assume that "hard" filter means that you always it applied regardless of the report. If that is true, then add the following at the bottom of the .mas

END
DBA=DBA ,$
USER= ,ACCESS=R, RESTRICT=VALUE, NAME=SYSTEM,
    VALUE=IS_VALID EQ 1,$ 

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are never going to use the fields you can just drop them from the synonym entirely.

Developer Studio 7.7.05
Application Studio 8.0.09
Windows 7
All Formats

Posts: 16 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: November 29, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks dhagen, this works. I think there should be a more intuitive solution. In a SQL view, for example, this would be very simple.

j.gross, I thought about that but it seemed a little convoluted to meet my purpose.

quote:
Originally posted by dhagen:
I assume that "hard" filter means that you always it applied regardless of the report. If that is true, then add the following at the bottom of the .mas

END
DBA=DBA ,$
USER= ,ACCESS=R, RESTRICT=VALUE, NAME=SYSTEM,
    VALUE=IS_VALID EQ 1,$ 

WebFOCUS 8004
All Outputs

posted Hide Post
Okay. Now I've run into another issue. Everything was working fine on Tuesday, but today, inexplicatly it no longer works. When I go to create a report using this synonym I see none of the fields. When I remove the DBA part, I see the filtered. I don't have any idea what changed between the two days.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

WebFOCUS 8004
All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The DBA piece in the master should work consistently but if it isn't doing that for whatever reason, why don't you just define a view in your database exposing only the columns and rows you want and simply create a WF synonym on it and make it available for consumption to your users?

That seems like something you'd prefer over the security mechanism available via WF metadata anyway Smiler

quote:
In a SQL view, for example, this would be very simple.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by njsden:
The DBA piece in the master should work consistently but if it isn't doing that for whatever reason, why don't you just define a view in your database exposing only the columns and rows you want and simply create a WF synonym on it and make it available for consumption to your users?

That seems like something you'd prefer over the security mechanism available via WF metadata anyway Smiler

quote:
In a SQL view, for example, this would be very simple.

Thanks njsden, I will likely do this. I'd like to understand why the DBA thing isn't working. I will be attending security training in Jan so hopefully I can ask there if I can't figure out on my own. I'm going to leave this open (unresolved) for a bit if anyone has any other ideas.

WebFOCUS 8004
All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi

You could use the following technique of creating a filter which is executed on the master file level without having to actually define it in the master file or use it in a fex,
add to your webfocus client site profile fex (referenced in site.wfs) the FILTER syntax

for example:

FILTER FILE CM_GNA_MONTH
NAME=SEIFCM
WHERE V_GNA_SEIF.SEIFID_LVL1 NE MISSING;
END
-RUN
SET FILTER= SEIFCM IN CM_GNA_MONTH ON

Yours,
Eran
SRL Products

http://www.srl.co.il

Posts: 97 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: November 20, 2005Report This Post
<Emily Duensing>
posted
Josh,

Your profile doesn't state what level of WebFOCUS you are at, but you might investigate whether a Master File Profile might meet your needs. I believe the Master File Profile is relatively new; however, I do not know exactly which release.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Emily Duensing:
Josh,

Your profile doesn't state what level of WebFOCUS you are at, but you might investigate whether a Master File Profile might meet your needs. I believe the Master File Profile is relatively new; however, I do not know exactly which release.

We have 8004.

I ended up trying the DBA solution from DHAGAN again and its working. Not sure why I was experiencing that other issue before....

WebFOCUS 8004
All Outputs