Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     How To Create Date Parameters Prompting the User

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
How To Create Date Parameters Prompting the User
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I am trying to create Date Paramters that prompt the user to enter the Begin Date and then Enter the End Date. I tried using Report Painter:

Where DOS GE to Compare Type=Parameter- Compare Value Here I enter my Prompt Command for the first request(Enter Begin Date)which results in
WHERE OI_CHARGES.OI_CHARGES.DT_OF_SERVICE GE &DT_OF_SERVICE.().Enter Begin Date.;

Then when I do the second request to Enter the End Date the exact same way (Only using LE)

I get an error saying:"There is a complex form for this amper already used in the report." My question is how do I create a Date Parameter that will allow my user to request enter in their own specified dates? I have searched the documentation and cannot find how to do this. Nor can I find other questions that cover this. Thanks!!

V. 762
Windows XP

Guru
posted Hide Post
Logle,

Use different variables names

WHERE OI_CHARGES.OI_CHARGES.DT_OF_SERVICE GE &BDATE.().Enter Begin Date.;
WHERE OI_CHARGES.OI_CHARGES.DT_OF_SERVICE LE &EDATE.().Enter End Date.;

Fernando

Prod WF 8.1.04, QA WF 8.2.03, Dev WF 8.2.03

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks Fernando, My parameter boxes are appearing now for begin date and end date but they are so small I am not able to use them. They appear with a very tiny window and a drop down button. Any Ideas?

V. 762
Windows XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
If you are using the HTML Layout Painter, you need to change your control type to a calendar control instead of a dropdown box. If you go to the right of the screen, down at the bottom you will see a Parameters tab. Click that then find you date variable. If you click on it, you will get a drop arrow that will allow you to change the control to a calendar. Then back in the body of the form, you can right-click on the calendar icon and customize your control.

Hope that helps.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I am not able to access the HTML Layout Painter. Is there another way?

V. 762
Windows XP

Guru
posted Hide Post
Logle,

How are creating your screen?

Fernando

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am creating my report in Web Focus Developer Studio. I can use Report Painter and this is where I originally tried to do the Parameter but it errored out.

V. 762
Windows XP

Guru
posted Hide Post
Logle,
If you are in DevStudio, re you using the Procedure Viewer ? if you are use the Where/If
Assit function, select DT_OF_SERVICE as the field, equals as hte logical relations, Parameter as the Compare Type and then enter the variable name

WF 7.6.11
Oracle
WebSphere
Windows NT-5.2 x86 32bit

Posts: 398 | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I started off doing that and that is when I got the error. See my first post. Fernando's suggestion works but the Parameter Windows need to be adjusted where the date can be entered in.

V. 762
Windows XP

Guru
posted Hide Post
Logle,

Do you mean that the WebFOCUS auto prompt feature is creating your boxes?

Fernando

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I am not sure. I went into the text editor and added your suggested script Fernando and the report now prompts me for a Begin and End Date but the problem is the boxes appear so small there is just a slight space and then a drop down arrow next to the box. I cannot find where to adjust the size of the prompt box.

V. 762
Windows XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
LOgle,

If you are creating your report in DS, then HTML Layout Painter is available to you. After you create your report, use the html painter to create the launch page to run your report. These are two separate operations (though in 76 you can start with the html painter and open the report painter from there).

If you are using virtual folders, right-click on the HTML Files and click new and choose the HTML Layout Painter as the tool. If you are not using virtual folders (recommended for 762 as there is a tiny bug in the procedure selection process that is not broken when not using virtual folders), do the click from the application directory. Once the painter is open, select a button and draw it on the form. Right-click the button and choose hyperlink properties. Choose to run an external procedure and select your report focexec. Once you get all of the pulldowns filled out, click OK. You will see a control screen with all of your parms. Uncheck the ones you don't want to see on your page. For the ones that you want, select the type of control that you want from the pulldown. Down at the bottom there is another pulldown that asks whether you want to create a form or not. I always choose no.

Click ok and you will see all your parms on the screen. If you chose calendar controls for your dates, you will see little calendar icons next to the input boxes. Right-click on those icons to set the properties.

That should get you started in the right direction.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Ginny I will try this.

V. 762
Windows XP

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
&EDATE

Ginny:

I was able to create the fields in HTML Layout Painter as you suggested but could not figure out how to tie these back to my report. I connected them in the fields and everything should have worked but they did not. So a co-worker and I were able to find an old report that someone else had done that had Parameter Codes in and it worked this way. I just wanted to share this method just in case someone else has this same issue as I did. Here is the code I ended up using.

WHERE (OI_CHARGES.OI_CHARGES.DT_OF_SERVICE GE '&FROMDATE.ENTER STARTDATE (YYYYMMDD).')
AND (OI_CHARGES.OI_CHARGES.DT_OF_SERVICE LE '&TODATE.ENTER ENDDATE (YYYYMMDD).')

Thank You all for your help!!

V. 762
Windows XP

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is in fact the same as what you already did.
The only difference is in fact that you put the two "WHERE" statements in one clause, and you changed the prompt text and last but not least now it is a string instead of a number.

I would advice to ask the management some basic training.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I Allready have they gave me a CD. It looks like my Training will consist of what I learn on my own thru use of the forums, the Summit and User Group meetings. Sorry if it is inconvenient to ask my questions here but with my limited resources this is what I have. I do try to do the problems before I post. What works in Access, Crystal or even SQL reports is much different here. I have printed the manual and then when I get stuck I either go here to this forum or to Tech Support. If it is a problem for me to post here then I will go directly to Tech Support with my questions no worries. I will not post again. Sorry if it for the trouble.

V. 762
Windows XP

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Oh don't run away...do your research..and then come here with questions...we'll help.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
No problem at all, that's where this is for.

We meet at Summit and shake hands.
I just wanted to encourage training.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post