Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] MODIFY FIXFORM

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] MODIFY FIXFORM
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Does anyone know if code has tightened or changed for MODIFY FILE....FIXFORM in 8.2.01?
I was using this code recently in 8.0.09
APP ENABLE
APP HOLDMETA DB2TABLES
SET TRACEOFF = ALL
SQL DB2
END
MODIFY FILE RGVITAL_ERA4135FF
FIXFORM FROM RGVITAL_ERA4135FINB
DATA ON RGVITAL_ERA4135FINB
END
SQL
COMMIT;
END
APP HOLDMETA

and it has always worked. Now in 8201 I get a Reporting Server error and says "Too Many Messages" But I don't know what that means.

thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobV,

WF (App Studio) 8.2.01m / Windows
Mainframe FOCUS 8

Master
posted Hide Post
Something to try for diagnostic purposes...

Can you add a START/STOP to your MODIFY, so that only the first few input records are dealt with?

Then, hopefully, you won't get the server crash, and will be able to see the real error messages in your SYSOUT/View Source.

Something like...

MODIFY FILE n
START 1
STOP  3
FIXFORM..  

(Guessing you are getting an error for every input record, and your input file is big.)

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I did the START/STOP at 3 and ran fine. Then tried 1000. Did not work.
DB2 table started with about 5,000 records. Each of the past two months added 4,000 more. This month has ~3,900 to append. When using 8.0.09, I've surpassed these volumes on other projects.

Is there a set command to see a SYS output?

thanks for the help.

Mainframe FOCUS 8

Expert
posted Hide Post
My guess is that there is now a difference in the format of some fields, but that will be shown in the messages.

You should also check the format of the fields in the two files, RGVITAL_ERA4135FF and RGVITAL_ERA4135FINB.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Can you run a TABLE request against RGVITAL_ERA4135FINB?

I'm pretty sure most of the HOLD FORMAT blahblah is still using MODIFY and FIXFORM FROM DATA ON syntax.

Anything in the edaprint?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did the START/STOP at 3 and ran fine. Then tried 1000. Did not work.

OK, that is useful information, that the first few records work, and at some point, in reading the input file, something goes awry.

There a several things to check, regarding the input/HOLD file. (Guessing you created the input file via a previous ON TABLE HOLD command given your MODIFY FILE code.)

For example, are any of the formats/lengths changed from the scenario that works, to the scenario that does not.

Are there more or less fields in either HOLD file?

When you TABLE the HOLD file, does the report look OK?

Are the MASTERs for the DB2 table you are modifying the same in terms of structure?

For sure, now that you aren't getting the server crash, you should try to find the messages from the run of the MODIFY.

If it is WebFOCUS, you should see the messages on the web page that pops up, or do a view source, to see them.

On z/OS batch (sadly it has been a while so just guessing :-)) you should see a JCL card something like-ish '//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=A' that points to where the messages are going.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Briars,

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who responded. I just could not get anything to work, so did something different since this was the last month I needed to update my table.
I'm going to see if I continue to have this problem with other projects.
1) this project was started using Dev Studio 8.0.09 and finished running in App studio 8.2.01 Not sure if that has any effect.
2) I have added a "key" field to my process in which I will use ON NOMATCH INCLUDE syntax. Again, not sure if that has any effect.

Mainframe FOCUS 8