Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
DBF file adapter
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
How do I create a synonym against a DBF file? We wanted to leverage an existing application that generates this DBF file daily.

Thanks.

Dev: WebFOCUS 7.6.10, Data Migrator 7.6.10
QA: WebFOCUS 7.6.10, Data Migrator 7.6.10
Prod: WebFOCUS 7.6.2, Data Migrator 7.6.8
Windows 2K3, Tomcat 5.5.17, IIS 6
Usage: HTML, PDF, Excel, Self-serve, BID and MRE

Posts: 197 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: January 24, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
In the 'old' days we could use focus on pc to access dbf files directly.
Those days are gone.
The only way now that I know of to access dbf files with webfocus is by interfacing to an odbc driver that understands dbf.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I use the Microsoft dBase ODBC driver version 4 from 2004. Works well.

Just create the DSN in the windows ODBC manager and then add the driver in the WF workspace manager and create the synonyms. Was very straightforward.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We use the same and problems have been very few and far between.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I've give them try.

Dan

Posts: 197 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: January 24, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I created a System DSN (Registrar) on our WF server using the Microsoft dBase Driver and point to the dbf file located on the WF server locally.

On the webconsole, I create a ODBC adapter and defined Registrar

When I create a new sysnonym and choose ODBC as adapter, I see my dbf file but when I click on create, it errors out:

(FOCS1400) SQLCODE IS -1305 (HEX:FFFFFAE7)XOPEN: 42S02 [S0002] [Microsoft][ODBC dbase Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object 'to_registrar'. Make sure the object exisit and that you can spell its name and the path correctly. (FOC1405) SQL PREPARE ERROR.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Tech support was able to help. Solution was to rename the DBF filename to less that 8 characters.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Isn't it amazing how we still get stuck with that 8-character name limit everytime we turn around?

Reminds me of the story of the lady whose husband asked her why she always cut off the end of the ham before cooking it. She didn't know why but her mom had done it that way. So the husband asked his mother-in-law and she said the same thing. When he asked Grandma, she said that the ham would never fit in her baking pan so she always cut the end off to make it fit in the pan.

Now we're stuck with naming thing 8 characters, not because of any real limitation, but just because it once had to be done that way. So just keep cutting off the end and you'll never have to worry about it. Smiler There's something to think about over the weekend.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post