Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Report Caster against 2 Reporting Servers

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Report Caster against 2 Reporting Servers
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
We have one instance of Report Caster (ver 7.1.6) that connects to 2 reporting servers - both version 7.1.7, one of which is on the mainframe and the other on AIX. Different applications use one or the other reporting server. The Maximum Threads setting on RC is set to 25, and the Maximum Connection setting on each server is set to 10. However, RC send the first 25 jobs in its queue to whichever server the application uses, regardless of whether the server can run the job or not.

We want to be able to schedule jobs to both servers to run simultaneously. Any one have any ideas on how to achieve this?

Diptesh
WF 7.1.7 - AIX, MVS

Posts: 79 | Location: Warren, NJ, USA | Registered: October 25, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Based on my understanding this won't work proper. The report will run based on the time specified in the server. Whichever runs fast, that will distribute the report. And also you need to configure the server with your mail exchange server.

Hope this helps,

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Posts: 780 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 09, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to do. An application will only work on a single reporting server so a single job will only run on the server where it exists. When you say "whether the server can run the job or not" are you talking about available agents on the reporting server?

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
In my case, Application1 runs on the MVS server and Application2 runs on the AIX server. Both use the same Report Caster Distribution server. What I want to have happen is that Report Caster submit jobs to both servers, based on the Maximum Connection parameter of the Data Server (as configured in the RC Console). So, if the first 500 reports are for the AIX server, and the next 200 for the MVS server, it would submit report nos 1-10 to the AIX server and skip over the next 490 reports (since AIX server is at capacity) and send report nos 501-510 to the MVS server. All 700 reports are scheduled for the same time, with the same priority level.

Diptesh
WF 7.1.7 - AIX, MVS

Posts: 79 | Location: Warren, NJ, USA | Registered: October 25, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It won't work that way because they all use the same queue within Report Caster. They are dished from that queue in the order they are added - regardles of the capacities of the Reporting servers. You would have to use separate queues which, in this case, would require separate instances of ReportCaster.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Darin Lee. Thanks for the info. That is something I wished to avoid if possible. Maybe I'll open it as an NFR.

Diptesh
WF 7.1.7 - AIX, MVS

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Good idea. We have a very similar configuration (server on Z/OS and Linux) and could probably use that feature as well. Don't know how it would be done but we can let them worry about that.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Darin. Just FYI. I spoke to IBI about this, and opened it as an NFR yesterday. For the moment, I'm probably going to have to use a separate installation of RCaster.

Diptesh
WF 7.1.7 - AIX, MVS