Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Reportcaster 10-minute jobs and Focus Repository

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Reportcaster 10-minute jobs and Focus Repository
 Login/Join

Master
posted
We have about a dozen Reportcaster jobs that check every 10 minutes for changes in a database, such as a receiving event in inventory, and send an email to a salesperson to let them know the inventory is received.

I set this all up using SQL views on the database side, and added a post-process to do an insert into a log table once the reportcaster job completes. I found this process simpler to understand and administrate than Alerts for a one-database system like ours.

Now, our reportcaster log files get so full so quickly (since our jobs run every few minutes all day, every day) that I have to clear them out once every few weeks to keep reportcaster running efficiently. We are on the default Focus repository. More users want to add more of these few-minute processes, so the problem is just getting worse.

What can I do to fix this as easily as possible? Would converting to Alerts give us any advantage in functionality or fill up the logs less, or can we migrate from Focus repository onto our DB2 UDB/iSeries database instead and will that make Reportcaster run longer without having to clear the logs?

Thanks for your help!

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We have a couple of jobs that run every 2 minutes (don't ask!!) and we still have to manage/clean the log files (also with a separate RC job) and our database is DB2/UDB. So converting your repository isn't goin to solve that problem. Converting to alerts would probably get you much further down the road. In the near future, here are a couple of tips:

1. Make sure that you don't have any -SET &ECHO=ALL; in your code. All of your code would be written to the log files with every run and fill it up much faster.

2. Control useage of any other Dialogue Manager commands that would output to the screen such as -TYPE

3. Where possible, make use of the &&KILL_RPC variable in pre-processor steps to prevent additional writes to the logs when it's not necessary(i.e. "alert" condition is not met)

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Jason

Found this solution on focalpoint
-* Problem: How to automatically delete rows from the server log and statistics table?
-*Solution: It may be useful for a server to automate deleting rows from the server log and statistics tables. For example, you can delete all rows more than a week old on a daily basis.
-*1. Create a stored procedure with the following lines:

-SET &DDATE=AYMD(&YYMD,-7,'I8');
-SET &DDATE = EDIT (&DDATE,'9999/99/99') ;
EX \\ibiserver\ibi\srv766\home\catalog\ETLDELLS DDATE=&DDATE, DTIME=00:00:00, SUSTART=Y, ETLSTART=Y

-*2. Create a new process flow.
-*3. Drag the procedure into the flow and connect it to the Start object.
-*4. Drag a Schedule icon into the workspace.
-*5. Double-click the Schedule icon and set a schedule for running the flow.
-*6. Save the flow.

We run this once a week via ETL.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You can change the setting for purging log files in
ReportCaster Server Configuration\ General Tab\ Log Purge Period option.

WF773, RC, RL, IWay, SQL2008, Oracle 11G, DB2 9.X, HP-DB2

Posts: 11 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: October 27, 2008Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the advice!

quote:
Converting to alerts would probably get you much further down the road.

What advantages would we see from converting these processes over to the alert technology? It's been a while, and we don't have any actual alerts set up any more, but I think they wrote to the log files as well, has that changed?

A question for all you BI veterans, how are you sending notifications to your users based on alert-type information? I get the feeling that we must be doing something wrong as our server requires monthly maintenance just for the dozen or so 'instant alert' 10-minute processes. I've heard of companies running a LOT of these type of things, do their servers require this same maintenance?

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Master
posted Hide Post
Our server guru suggested that we spend some money on hardware, more ram and processor, to eliminate the very bad lag that we get after about two weeks of logs build up.

Does anyone have any experience with Reportcaster on windows before and after a hardware upgrade?