Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] App Studio v8.1.05M - Newbie question 1: Docked Environments Detail window

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] App Studio v8.1.05M - Newbie question 1: Docked Environments Detail window
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I would like to have a docked Environments Detail window that does not block the Editor window. When I right-click a procedure and select edit with text editor, the file opens in a tabbed text editor window under the Environments Detail window. It took me quite a while to realize it was there. I was expecting the Environments Detail window to be included in the App Studio tabbed interface. What are the undocumented best practices of using App Studio Environments Detail window and Text Editor window?

Thanks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis

When you have the Environment Detail Window you can click the pin at the top right side and that should lock the panel in place. Once the Panel is locked, you should be able to open a file in the text editor and see the procedure. If that is not working for you there maybe some other issue that you are having with 8008. In that case please open a case and ask for Barry

Thank you and have a great day,
Barry Solomon

WebFOCUS 8103, Windows, App Studio

Posts: 80 | Location: NYC | Registered: November 13, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Frances

I will try to give you some basics. In the image below I have circled how to pin the Envrionments Tree so you have the full canvas available for editing.

The icons below the words Environments Tree allow you to show all contents by default or screen the contents to procedures, master files, html forms, maintain procedures etc.

I know you are a coder but I wanted to point out another tab that is pinned by default when you create a new procedure. It is called the Procedure View tab. This is used to control adding components like JOIN or DEFINE

Creating html forms using the html composer is a completely different experience vs develpers studio. Let me know if you want so tidbits about that.

Regards

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of screenshots (I'm giving App Studio v8.1.05M a test drive).

Environments Detail window, which I think is docked or pinned.

I right-click test.fex and select "Open in text editor". The files opens in the text editor, but the text editor window is obscured by the Environments Detail window. The Text Editor tab is clearly shown at the top. It took me quite a while to figure this out. After opening test.fex but not seeing the text editor, I tried again, but this time I wasn't getting the "Open in text editor" option - that through me for a loop.

For now, the only way I can see the text editor is by closing the Environments Detail window by unchecking it, which I would rather not do.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

You have figured out you can hover over the edge of a panel (whether that's your Environments Detail or File/Folder Properties panel, etc.) and get arrows to resize them (once pinned), right? This might help you see the text editor pane?

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I was hoping I didn't have to manually close the Environments Detail window every time I wanted to edit a resource.

I thought the Environments Detail window would be the first tab in the tab area...

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You don't have to close it. Just resize to fit both.

The Environments Detail "window" is a panel, not a tab (there will only ever be one). It can be minimized to the left or right, etc. when not in use by either pinning or unpinning it or resizing it.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Just wondering if you enjoy pinning/unpinning? And it's not really practical to have both the Environments Detail panel and also the GUI or text editor open at the same time, where's the space for this?

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
You can click the auto hide next to the close and once your mouse is no longer over the window it will minimize it along the right.

Same thing can happen for the File/Folder Properties if you click the circled icon.

On its side means auto hide it. Vertical means always show

WF: 8201, OS: Windows, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

I actually don't use the Details panel. I just use the Tree panel. That way I can open things on the right as needed and see what folder I'm in to the left. A bit different than DevStudio as you won't see the details of the contents of folders to the right like in the Details view/panel unless you use the File/Folder Properties panel to check, but you still get the tree to navigate. Usually the tree panel takes up 1/5 of my workspace to the left, while my text editor/GUI tool takes up the remaining 4/5ths the real estate. I also have 2 large displays I work on as well as my work laptop all synced together. So there's that too.

Pinning isn't an issue with me, since I'm used to it from Visual Studio. Might be a bit of a thing for those not used to it though. Sorry man.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks CoolGuy. I like seeing the details - last modified date and size happen to be important to me.

I'll just have to get used to this interface for very soon I won't have the Dev Studio fallback.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
No problem man. Everybody's got their thing. Yeah, the time will eventually come a'knockin'...

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
for very soon I won't have the Dev Studio fallback

I used to have both installed as I got used to App Studio but now I find it very difficult to go back to Dev Studio at all and have uninstalled it completely on VMs of WF8.1.04 and higher.

If you come to Summit in Dallas, I would happily spend some time to help you over a beer or two! Razzer

Note: This offer is purely for Francis and is not transferable!!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis, you can drag the environment details panel out of App Studio and put it to the side of the main window. I find that a rather convenient setup with multiple displays. Of course, that works for other panels as well.

The one drawback I find is that when I log in from home using a remote desktop client (parallels2x, which only sees a single monitor), things lock up in that session. If I remember to drag the environment details panel back into AS before I go home, there's no problem.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post