Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] DS HTML Composter: Double list boxes are not all that intelligent

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] DS HTML Composter: Double list boxes are not all that intelligent
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Am I expecting too much?

- There is no reset button in a double list box control.

- All is selected on the right list box. When a value is moved from the left list box to the right list box, the All option does not get automatically moved to the left.

- When the All option is manually moved from the left to the right, it is placed at the bottom of the list box. After some moving back-and-forth you can lose the location of All in the left list box.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I expecting too much?

Nope. Just the "obvious" but even that seems like too much sometimes.

I saw that annoying behaviour a couple of days ago while playing with a RIA web page using HTML composer. I was blaming it on Bindows but I can see now that this is all "composter" stuff. Frowner

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Expert
posted Hide Post
We "always" encase are parameters within a Form, which, automatically puts in a Run(Submit) and Refresh buttons. The Refresh button will return the parameters to their original alignment.

If you don't want to use that concept, creating your own Submit button, you can also create your own Reset button.

Yes, moving any selection from the selectto box will place that value at the bottom of the selectfrom box. We just train the user's...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I do have submit and reset buttons for the whole 'form' - what I'd like to see is an intelligent control that itself can be reset, it doesn't make sense to reset the whole 'form' because you can't find the 'All' option value in the left drop down list.

I have successfully created this by hand-coding.

And is there really a 'form'? You can create a WebFOCUS report launch page that is not a HTML form. I'd love to hear how one decides if one requires no form, a 'single layer form' or a 'multiple layer form'.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Well, that's why all our parameters are populated with a fex. Even if they were static, do you expect IBI to alphabetize the value back into the right area? What if you have different sort criteria in the calling fex? if a user doesn't want that parameter, place it at the bottom. I could also add a reset button for the parameter only which would call the populating fex...

Many ways to climb the mountain....

Have a good weekend, Francis...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, I expect an intelligent control to be able to alphabetize the values. I can easily do that using JavaScript and even more easily with jQuery.

WebFOCUS uses JavaScript to control the controls, so the JavaScript could very easily be made more intelligent.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I agree with Tom in the sense that the tool cannot know how I want to layout my values in a list element as it gives us full control to populate it with our own .fex.

However, I would expect the tool to at least give 'All' a special treatment. Well, it already does, doesn't it? That's a special entry added only when checked in the control's dialog (the .fex does not have to explicitly return that value) and during runtime FOC_NONE or _FOC_NULL is sent when that option is chosen.

So, being given a special treatment already by the tool, I (in my naïve approach to things) would expect the control to "know" to remove 'All' from the right side when something else is added and always put it at the top of the list on the left side, while keeping the other values in whatever order they already have. If the user decides to put 'All' back on the right side, then all other existing values on that side would be removed and moved back to the left, maybe at the bottom of the list. Having an option to automatically sort thos values via a control property or something else would be nice but let's not get greedy now. Razzer

This message has been edited. Last edited by: njsden,

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Exactly.

Why was I able to build something like this in a couple of hours using jQuery? I think DevStudio must be using some kind of JS library so this should be easy.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
"Composter"? LOL!

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I liked "HTML Composter" too! Good One

First "InfoResist" and now "HTML Composter"!!!! You can't make this stuff up folks!

prod:7.6.9, win2k3 mre, caster, bid, devstudio 7.6.9

Posts: 242 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: February 16, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
all the credit goes to waz!

Francis