Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Put to bed] So what else is broken (or moved?) in Dev Studio 7.6.9?
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Put to bed] So what else is broken (or moved?) in Dev Studio 7.6.9?
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
OK, so as usual a new version is released and I try to evaluate the functionality against my Clients set-up to see if it's worth recommending the progression.

First I look at the Precision Report Painter - looks good with minimal time to evaluate.

I move into the text editor and perform some normal tasks - cut, paste, select, drag and drop code - wait a minute! drag and drop doesn't work anymore!! Is this as intended or has this been missed in testing?

Dimitri? What the ##ll is going on? Are you determined that we should all use the GUI and never set foot in the text editer? Do you only test the GUI elements because that is what the hard sell is going to be - "look at our GUI, it's so easy to use and sooo much better than BO" - sorry, but I and several other "seasoned" professionals use the text editer out of choice and expect a certain number of editer functions to work - The basic select, drag and drop of code being one of them.

I've held off moving releases because of small, seemingly, insignificant "features" which is why I'm still using 7.1.6 out of preference. It looks like I'll be staying put on 7.1.6 until the basic functionality is fully tested and made to work consistently between releases.

I haven't even soak tested it yet against huge application folders to test the speed of refresh (see "All I want for Christmas in Dev Studio" posting).

I'm not hopeful Frowner

T

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tony A,

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
wow - I use the text Editor all the time - I didn't even know you could drag-n-drop. Guess I'm more of a keyboard-y type guy...

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2003,SQL Server 2005,Oracle

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ditto
what else is different, T?

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Absolutely Right! IMHO: They should NEVER do away with any of Ted’s (text editor) features. Long Live TED!
-Doug

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It isn't all doom and gloom, there's a Magnify demo which look's good (needs to be run on WebServer from Projects for graphics - not from Environments).

I shall keep 7.6.9 loaded whilst I test, but I'm sure I'll be back on 7.1.6 very soon Frowner

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Tony. With our programs, it would take me 10 times longer to use the GUI vs. the Text Editor. For me, the only thing the GUI is good for is building sample code.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tony sounds like they need you to do some Beta testing before releasing to the masses. Wink

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
<JG>
posted
All releases are beta tested, doesn’t mean that they take any notice though.

Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony,
I verified the drag and drop issue and it seems to have been broken prior to 768.
I will look into this further and we will create an immediate fix for this.
FYI - in 769 we worked on making enhancements to the text editor and command console as was requested in another Focal Point discussion and we have made more options available in the context menu, added shortcut keys including F5 to run requests.

Regards,
Dimitri

Posts: 66 | Location: New York | Registered: August 18, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Dimitris,

I guessed that there were enhancements coming owing to your responses in the other discussion, however I did hope that they wouldn't be accompanied Wink

You must have a standard functionality test script that is followed for each new release to make sure things are not broken? I know it sounds as if I am bemoaning the product but (as many will atest) I genuinely think that WF is one brilliant product. Unfortunately it's the introduced pitfalls such as the missing select, drag and drop that gets noticed and not always the icing. It's also the reason that some Customers move on to products anew, often with a comment comparison to Microsoft.

Let me say that I appreciate what you and your team do produce, I also understand that to get releases out in quick rotation some things do get missed and that complexity of the entire product also impacts the testing done (something always get missed), but please can't we have consistency?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
All releases are beta tested, doesn’t mean that they take any notice though.

Frowner

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
shortcut keys including F5 to run requests

Smiler Now that is something I doooooooo like Smiler

However, ease of code manipulation is more important to me. Frowner

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
Dimitris: The "shortcut keys including F5 to run requests" is, as Tony, said "something I doooooooo like" as well (shortcuts are always nice, as long as they are consistent or, at least, intuitive).

But, PLEASE do not eliminate anything there that we're used to having thus far.

Thanks In Advance,
Doug

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony,
Thank you for your support and at the same time I understand your frustration.
We strive to produce releases w/ the best quality and this breakage should have been caught by our tests.
Looking forward to continuing to work w/ all of you in this forum, improve the product as a team and enhance your development experience.

Regards,
Dimitri

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking forward to continuing to work w/ all of you in this forum

Dimitri,

As do we Smiler

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
I wonder why bugs identified in v7.6.5 have not been fixed in v7.6.9...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
The Drag and Drop issue in the editor is addressed and it will be available in the first hotfix for 769.
If anyone needs this immediately, please send me an email at dimitris_poulos@ibi.com and I will forward the file that needs to be updated (fix is applied to one DLL located in the Dev Studio systems folder).
This fix is release independent and can be applied to 767, 768 and 769.

Regards,
Dimitri

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis,
Cases get prioritized and once reviewed, work is scheduled appropriately.
I need to review your issues and see why they are not yet addressed.

Regards,
Dimitri

Expert
posted Hide Post
Dimitri,

Hotfix received (thank you) and applied. All currently looks promising Smiler

Thanks

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
is this hotfix 769 publicly available now, Dimitris?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
All currently looks promising

Except the stuff that hasn't been fixed yet.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Susannah, the 769 hotfix is not ready yet. It will take 1-2 weeks to make it available and will contain a few additional fixes.
I send a custom fix to the text editor issue to developers that needed this immediately.
Please let me know if you also need this fix.

Regards,
Dimitri

Expert
posted Hide Post
Just to confirm, the one Dev Studio problem addressed in this hot fix is drag and drop of text from one area of an open file to another area in the same open file. Is this correct?

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
the one Dev Studio problem addressed
My understanding is that it's "one of" not "the one".

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
nope, thanks Dimitris, we'll chill.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Gold member
posted Hide Post
When 769 Hotfix #1 is made available it will contain a few fixes and one of them will be the drag/drop text editor issue.

Regards,
Dimitri

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I installed 769 on my machine and had a problem with the HTML Composer. Looks like they have done a lot of changing in this area. I opened a HTML file created with 768 and when I run the HTML a static drop down list does not load. What's up with this? I immediately downgraded to 768. Anybody else experienced this problem?

-Josh

WebFOCUS 8.0.09
Windows, DB2 iSeries, ODBC
Output: Excel, HTML, PDF, AHTML

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I noticed something else in the layout tool of release 769 after I opened an existing html file (happens to be a javascript-based navbar): When switching back and forth between the Design and HTML tabs, the Design view seems to duplicate the content and this seems to be consistent in the HTML view also. The number of times I switch, EQ the number of duplications that take place...
I still have to reproduce this with the car file to be sure...
Any one else seen something similar?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
prod: WF/AS 8.2.05; OmniGen;
In FOCUS since 1991

Posts: 104 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: February 07, 2008Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Even when creating a new HTML file, the static (and dynamic for that matter) don't seem to work. This is after the DS 769 hot fix too.

wf 767 running on w2k3 srvr

Posts: 46 | Registered: September 22, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Not trying to beat a dead horse into the ground, but again, a minor release number (7.6.8 to 7.6.9) has over 100 new features because of the IBI "continuous" improvement model.

While I think it's great that new features are added to the product set, please look at what these do to your customers. I really don't expect a minor release to be such an architectural change and to break things, at least not to the level that happened in the move to from 7.1 to v7.1.3 or the move from 7.6 to v7.6.2. It looks like 7.6.9 is another shift that has growing pains.

Please consider changing your product release architecture to create a stablized version line such as 7.6.x, just doing bug-fixes, and save the hundreds of new features for jumps such as to 7.7. That might also help to mature the product features such as InfoAssist and Power Painter and the PDF layout manager so that they aren't released into the field before thorough QA flushes out the bugs.

Just a thought, been bit many times before on the minor upgrade.....

Dan at UNO

WebFOCUS 8.8.05M (Prod)/8.0.09(Sandbox) Windows

Posts: 56 | Location: Omaha, Ne USA | Registered: October 15, 2007Report This Post