Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [NFR] AHTML - How To Freeze Column Headings?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[NFR] AHTML - How To Freeze Column Headings?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
How can I lock AHTML report column headings in place, so when users scroll down, they do not lose the column headings?

My users have found that turning off AHTML paging, and having all data display on one page, very helpful to their analysis. However, losing the column headings, when scrolling down, is problematic.

Here is an example of what we are doing using the IB GGSALES sample database:

TABLE FILE GGSALES
HEADING
"Production Orders"
PRINT DOLLARS
      UNITS
BY CATEGORY
BY PRODUCT

ON TABLE HOLD AS REPORT1 FORMAT AHTMLTAB
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
 TYPE=REPORT,
-* Show all results on one page.
      LINES-PER-PAGE=UNLIMITED,
	  OBJECT=STATUS-AREA,
-* Turn off pagination bar.
	  PAGE-LOCATION=OFF,$
ENDSTYLE
END
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>A Scroll Bar, a Scroll Bar, my kingdom for a Scroll Bar.</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
!IBI.OBJ.ACTIVEREPORTJS;
!IBI.FIL.REPORT1;
</BODY>
</HTML>
-HTMLFORM END

Thank you all, for your thoughts.

8/11/17 Edits: 1. Removed 'Solved' from thread title. [Not sure why moderator marked it 'Solved'. :-)] 2. Simplified code sample.
8/27/17 Edit: Removed 'Closed' from thread title. :-)
9/01/17 Edit: Removed 'Solved' from thread title. Unless the moderators know something I don't. :-)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Briars,

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David,
Maybe this will help. I happened to come across it on the tech support site...How to freeze the Heading in an AHTML report.
http://techsupport.information...om/sps/62382527.html

WebFOCUS 8202 Win 2012
Test - WebFOCUS 8203 on Win 2012

Posts: 173 | Registered: November 16, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
How can I lock AHTML report heading/column headings in place, so when users scroll down, they do not lose the column headings?

Six years/two releases/1,100+ thread views/many hair strands lost later...
* new set of users :-)
* same problem :-(

Does anyone have an idea of how to freeze the report heading/column headings in Active Reports, so that users can scroll down through the data?

I can't seem to sell my users on the idea of paging instead of scrolling. In fact, our users may drop Active Reporting, if only because of no scrolling down.

I am thinking that the headings and the body sections must be identified/indentifiable. And, if so, there should be some CSS/JS magic that would cause the 'top' section to stay fixed, and the 'body' section to scroll.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Briars,

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster

Expert
posted Hide Post
Just a thought to get things started: How about doing two reports in one display?

That is::
Report 1: is sort of an empty report which shows only one row of (DEFINEd) empty data using FORMAT HTMTABLE (to get the column titles).
Report 2: is a normal report with the column titles "AS ''".

Then use the HTMLFORM BEGIN / END.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am simplifying this too much.

However, did you try to use this stylesheet code for the freeze?
TYPE=REPORT,
FREEZE-COLUMN=N1,
LINES-PER-PAGE=20, $

And for Headings, If you change your Report Heading to a Page Heading by using
ON TABLE SUBHEAD
"This is my heading"

I know it is not exactly the same as Excel. But, I think it gives you what you are looking for.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
@Jeff - Nice first post. Welcome to FocalPoint. :-)

For wide Active reports the ability to freeze the first n columns is a great feature. We use it on some of our wide AR's and our users love it.

In my current scenario, our report isn't necessarily wide (horizontal), as much as it is very long (vertically).

I *personally* like the paging option/lines per page you show, and alas, my users do not want pages of data, they want one long page they can scroll down/through.

While currently they *can* scroll down, the column heading stuff goes up and out of site, and so they lose context of which column is which.

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster

Master
posted Hide Post
@Doug - Thank you for the suggestion.

I will see if I can play around with the concept.

I am not sure how to get the same column widths in each report, as well as, how to 'lock' the first report, and it might be worth playing around with. :-)

Thanks again, for the reply.

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I am thinking that the headings and the body sections must be identified/indentifiable. And, if so, there should be some CSS/JS magic that would cause the 'top' section to stay fixed, and the 'body' section to scroll...

I thought I would take the sample code and attempt to make the report 'body' section identifiable, and then add CSS code to create a vertical scroll bar.
DEFINE FILE GGSALES
DUMMY/A1 = 'A';
DIVISION/A25  = '<tbody><TR><TD>';
EDIVISION/A25 = '</TD></TR></tbody>';
END
TABLE FILE GGSALES
HEADING
"Production Orders"
PRINT SEQ_NO
      DOLLARS/I9C
      UNITS/I9C
-* Report sorting.
BY DUMMY NOPRINT
ON DUMMY SUBHEAD
"*** Beginning of report body ***"
"<DIVISION>"
ON DUMMY SUBFOOT
"<EDIVISION>"
"*** End of report body ***"
BY CATEGORY
BY PRODUCT
-* Report-wide settings.
ON TABLE PCHOLD AS REPORT1 FORMAT AHTML
ON TABLE SET BYDISPLAY ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
INCLUDE=ENDEFLT.STY,$
TYPE=REPORT, LINES-PER-PAGE=UNLIMITED, OBJECT=STATUS-AREA, PAGE-LOCATION=OFF, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE></TITLE>
<style>
tbody:nth-child(1) { display: block; }
tbody:nth-child(2) { display: block; }
tbody:nth-child(2) {
                     height: 500px;
                     overflow-y: auto;
                              }
</style>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
!IBI.FIL.REPORT1;
</BODY>
</HTML>
-HTMLFORM END   

Scroll bars control what part of the report you can see, and alas, positioning in the body is lost.

Interesting, the Active menu options continue to work.

This is about as far as I can/will take this. I mostly wanted to see what might be feasible.

If an Active Report geek, can use this as a springboard to a true workaround to share, that would be great.

Expert
posted Hide Post
use HFREEZE
as copied from the Webfocus Keysheet
HFREEZE= sel ....... control heading, title, footing, and total locations during scrolling
sel: BOTTOM ............ freeze grand totals and footings
sel: OFF ............... [default] no elements frozen
sel: ON ............... all elements frozen (headings, titles, footings, grand totals)
sel: TOP ............. freeze headings and titles

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I might be wrong, but I thought HFREEZE and Active reporting were not compatible? Essentially because each one is JavaScript driven and "does things" Wink to the DOM that would screw up what the other option has done?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
use HFREEZE

My understanding of the 'Creating Reports' manual (8105M) is that the HFREEZE StyleSheet attribute is available for HTML report, and not Active Reports.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Just add the following line to the FEX

SET HFREEZE ON

or maybe
SET HFREEZE=ON

Release 7.6.9
Windows
HTML

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
An easier way is to put the HFREEZE into the Style Sheet area..

TYPE=REPORT,HFREEZE=ON,$

Release 7.6.9
Windows
HTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
David

You are getting advice directly from the top! GCohen is Gerry Cohen owner and founder. That is awesome!!!

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
David

After checking with product management currently is only supported for active reports on Mobile devices when in Fullscreen view. In order to do this the way you want a new feature request will have to be submitted via a case with techsupport.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thank you Chuck.

I'll have my colleague transition our case to a NFR.