Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Dynamic Report Selection

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Dynamic Report Selection
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
This post is sort of a continuation/new question from my initial post Original Post. So we now have Dev Studio and are in the process from moving from our mainframe environment to a windows environment. In doing so I am having to create new launch pages and what not for reports. I build a page using the HTML composer tool in dev studio, but I am not able to pass a variable to use it for the dynamic selection of reports. This is where things are similar to my original post, where I was able to handle this with a DM loop. However, I cannot seem to have dev studio not automatically make the control box pass with an 'OR' between each of the values. Am I just missing something here or is this something that the composer cannot do and I have to look at coding this manually?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFocus 7.7.03 - 7703_hotfix - Gen: 284
Dev Studio 7.7.03 - Gen: 06062011
Mainframe Focus 7.7.03
Windows WF Client Server
zOS Reporting server (hub-sub config)
Windows Reporting server
Windows RC Client Server

Posts: 30 | Location: Portland, Oregon, USA | Registered: September 11, 2009Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
We allow a control to be populated with procedure names in release 8.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
My 'standard technique' over several clients has been to use a 'router.fex'. Populate a dropdown with a static list something like:

Value     Display
RPT01     Cars by Country
RPT02     Employees by Department

and bind this control to a parameter &ReportCode

Create router.fex that contians

-GOTO  &ReportCode.EVAL

-EXIT

-RPT01;

-INCLUDE app/carbyctry

-EXIT

-RPT02;

-INCLUDE app/employee

-EXIT

Now set up your button/autorun to call the 'router', not the actual report. My clients seem to like the ease of maintenance and the ability to add new items into the 'router'.

Robert F. Bowley Jr.
Owner
TaRa Solutions, LLC

In WebFOCUS since 2001

Posts: 132 | Location: Gadsden, Al | Registered: July 22, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Robert. I was thinking something along the lines of your example but how did you handle if the users want to run the reports to create a compound report and not just one report option? Using your example, if the multi-select is set to yes and they choose RPT01 & RPT02? When I did this before through our mainframe connection, I was able to set up the DM loop and check for the number of selections and loop through them all to create the compound or bypass the loop if only one selection was chosen. I am not seeing that I will have the ability to give the users that type of flexibility.

@David - We are still in the process of implementing 7.7.03 here, so I do not see us moving to release 8 any time soon. But that is good to know that the feature is there.

Mainframe Focus 7.7.03
Windows WF Client Server
Windows Reporting server
Windows RC Client Server

Posts: 30 | Location: Portland, Oregon, USA | Registered: September 11, 2009Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I would just change the Dropdown to a multi select list box and use GETTOK to parse out the list of reports. Then use the same looping technique.

If you want to get real fancy, use a double list box. The left side holds the list of available reports, and the user just selects the ones they want that way.

Robert F. Bowley Jr.
Owner
TaRa Solutions, LLC

In WebFOCUS since 2001

Posts: 132 | Location: Gadsden, Al | Registered: July 22, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Robert. I will give those a shot.

Mainframe Focus 7.7.03
Windows WF Client Server
Windows Reporting server
Windows RC Client Server

Master
posted Hide Post
Oooooooh! Robert, I like this a lot! Big Grin It saves an enormous amout of hassle creating a main page with dozens of links to the individual launch pages.

It will also allow me to create not just one but probably 3 or 4 list boxes according to the sort/selection criteria and to put an explanation of those sorts/selections beside each list box.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The one problem with a "router" fex is running it in deferred mode. We have 8 parameter screens with exactly the same parameters - just different reports. I wanted to use a "router" idea but soon realized that the report name in the Deferred Reports window is the name of the router fex.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post