Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Solved] New Window Target opens 2 tabs in IE

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Solved] New Window Target opens 2 tabs in IE
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I designed an HTML page in App Studio which has a button on it. The request when clicking the button takes the user to a URL (unrelated to WebFocus). The Target Type for this button is Window. The Target Name is New window. The Target/Template Name is _blank. The problem is that clicking the button opens 2 tabs in IE. My default browser is IE 11.

I have the same settings for many, many buttons in many other web pages, and they all work fine - only 1 IE tab opens. The only difference is that the request for this button is a URL. The requests for all of the other buttons are WebFocus HTML pages.

However, a co-worker had a similar problem last year, but in that case the request for the button was an HTML page, not a URL. That button opened up 2 IE tabs.

If I change the target from New window to Same window, this button works the way it should. But I want this button to open one new tab, not replace the existing tab, nor to open two tabs.

Note: This button works fine in Chrome. It's in IE that it opens 2 tabs.

Do you know how I can fix this problem in IE? Am I missing a setting?

Thanks,

~Mark

This message has been edited. Last edited by: folkie,

WF 8.2.02
App Studio
DataMigrator
ReportCaster
Windows Server 2016

Posts: 42 | Registered: September 08, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Sharing your code and trying to reproduce the problem using a legacy file (and also share this code) may help us helping you.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Martin,

I'm not sure what you mean by legacy file, and sharing the code (the HTML code?).

However, your message gave me an idea. I'll just recreate the web page. There aren't too many objects on it - 2 buttons, a picture, a line, some labels. I believe I created this page by copying/modifying an existing page, as opposed to starting from scratch. And I didn't realize this problem existed in the original page until I modified it recently.

I started recreating the page - just has 2 buttons and they both work fine, so far. Specifically, the button going to the URL correctly opens just one tab in IE.

I'll work on getting it to look just like the original page - trying the buttons along the way to see if I find something that "breaks" it.

I'll get back here when I finish.

Thanks,

~Mark

WF 8.2.02
App Studio
DataMigrator
ReportCaster
Windows Server 2016

Master
posted Hide Post
I have found the HTML Canvas to be very glitchy at best. Like if I put in a button and then later delete it, it acts as if it is still lurking there, somewhere in the code, and messes things up when running. Sometimes it is corrected if I save the file, completely exit out of AppStudio, and then reopen AS and the the file. However, most of the time you need to do exactly what you said that you are doing and start from scratch.

Personally I have found that I am better off coding an html page in Visual Studio Code than using the HTML Canvas. If your familiar with coding in HTML, CSS and JS, this might be a better option for you.

Hallway

Prod: 8202M1
Test: 8202M4
Repository:

Outputs:

Posts: 608 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: November 18, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by legacy file

The IBI sample files such as CAR, GGSALES, wf_retail, … that way we can us the same code as you do to show us the problem : we can reproduce on our side.

quote:
and sharing the code (the HTML code?).

When you reproduce the error, sometime it become a very simple html and/or fex that can be shared and used be us (while you have used IBI sample files)

Glad to see that you may have solved your issue by yourself.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I finished recreating the new HTML page. I started from scratch and now it looks exactly like the original. But this time, the button going to the URL works correctly in IE - it opens just one browser tab. And it still works fine in Chrome.

I double checked the Tasks windows in the 2 web pages, and they look identical. We'll blame it on being glitchy.

Thanks,

~Mark

WF 8.2.02
App Studio
DataMigrator
ReportCaster
Windows Server 2016