Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     setting up a Holdmaster

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
setting up a Holdmaster
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hello I am trying to dummy up a holdmaster, because we cant seem to save it under MVS.

When I use this master I get an "OPEN ERROR CODE 188"

FILE=IAAPO066, SUFFIX=FIX, DATASET='PIA.ANSRTDEC'
SEGNAME=SEG01, SEGTYPE=S01,$
FIELDNAME=POLICYNUMBER, ALIAS=E01, FORMAT=A10, $
FIELDNAME=BASICPLANCOD, ALIAS=E02, FORMAT=A5, $
FIELDNAME=BASICRATESCA, ALIAS=E03, FORMAT=A1, $
FIELDNAME=RISSUEAGE, ALIAS=E04, FORMAT=I3, $
FIELDNAME=CFCURAMOUNT, ALIAS=E05, FORMAT=P14.2, $
FIELDNAME=PERIOD, ALIAS=E06, FORMAT=MT, $

Any Help

Dan

IBM Main Frame: MVS, FIX, VSAM

Windows SQL

WF 7.7

Expert
posted Hide Post
To save a HOLD master, have you tried allocating a permanent PDS with DDNAME HOLDMAST? As far as I recall, it shouldn't be one of the PDS's that are allocated under DDNAME MASTER.

In the case of this hand-tooled HOLD Master, have you tried allocating the file in your JCL or online session instead of via the DATASET parameter in the Master?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Also, you need ACTUALs in your master.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
if I create a fixed format and master my dataset says something like

FILE=IAAPO066, SUFFIX=FIX, DATASET= dir/mytextfile.txt,$
SEGNAME=SEG01, SEGTYPE=S01,$

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Ok I set up the master like this. Now the fex is working but the output looks screwed up here is below.

FILE=IAAPO066, SUFFIX=FIX, DATASET='PIA.ANSRTJAN'
SEGNAME=SEG01, SEGTYPE=S0, $
GROUPNAME=POLICYNUMBER, ALIAS=E01, USAGE=A10, ACTUAL=A10, $
FIELDNAME=BASICPLANCOD, ALIAS=E02, USAGE=A5, ACTUAL=A5, $
FIELDNAME=BASICRATESCA, ALIAS=E03, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A1, $
FIELDNAME=RISSUEAGE, ALIAS=E04, USAGE=I3, ACTUAL=I3, $
FIELDNAME=CFCURAMOUNT, ALIAS=E05, USAGE=P14.2, ACTUAL=P6, $
FIELDNAME=PERIOD, ALIAS=E06, USAGE=MT, ACTUAL=MT, $

POLICYNUMBER BASICPLANCOD BASICRATESCA RISSUEAGE CFCURAMOUNT PERIOD
1 1 *** 1800000.00 MAR
1 1 *** 1800000.00 MAY
1 1 *** 2300000.00 JAN
1 1 *** 2100000.00 DEC
1 1 *** 3200000.00 JAN
1 1 *** 2100000.00 NOV

Windows SQL

WF 7.7

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I would say that the format (actual and/or usage) of the 3th and 4th field are not correct.
If I see *** I guess it is the field rissueage.
try to enlarge it to I6 (usage) and see if that helps

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The ACTUAL needs to be the exact number on disk. Usually for integer, these will be I2, I4, or I8. Use an editor with HEX ON to verify the length of this column.

The FORMAT number is the number of digits you want to display.

And your report seems to be missing a field. There are 5 in the report and 6 in the master.

Also, if you know the true length of each row in the file, you can do a CHECK FILE to make sure that the length of the fields in the master match the true length of the row.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Here is the hex of the file. Im not sure what to make of it.

0901819871 FPA1 1 .........pÍ.àÍ.gÞ.:÷....
FFFFFFFFFF44CDCF4444F4440001000029734718A17E0000
09018198710067110000100000080000975C4597E4A10001

Dan

Windows SQL

WF 7.7

Expert
posted Hide Post
If you haven't figured out how to save the HOLD masters in a PDS, then after you run the focexec that creates the HOLD file, add ?FF hold-file-name to see the columns and their formats. Unfortunately, neither ?FF not ? HOLD provide the ACTUAL - they just provide the USAGE.

Certain environmental variables will change what get put in the HOLD file - SET HOLDLIST=PRINTONLY for example. As well, the format of the HOLD file is important - I issue SET HOLDFORMAT=ALPHA at the top of all my programs to make ALPHA the default HOLD type. Or you can code the HOLD statement as ON TABLE HOLD AS H001 FORMAT ALPHA.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
OK,

The hold file was originally created without FORMAT ALPHA so everything is aligned on a full word (8 bytes) or half word boundary (4 bytes).

(You are making remember things long forgotten!!!!).

Anyway, that adjusts the lengths in the ACTUAL. Remember that I said that the ACTUAL has to exactly match the data.

So, here is another attempt at your master:

FILE=IAAPO066, SUFFIX=FIX, DATASET='PIA.ANSRTJAN'
SEGNAME=SEG01, SEGTYPE=S0, $
GROUPNAME=POLICYNUMBER, ALIAS=E01, USAGE=A10, ACTUAL=A12, $
FIELDNAME=BASICPLANCOD, ALIAS=E02, USAGE=A5, ACTUAL=A8, $
FIELDNAME=BASICRATESCA, ALIAS=E03, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A4, $
FIELDNAME=RISSUEAGE, ALIAS=E04, USAGE=I3, ACTUAL=I4, $
FIELDNAME=CFCURAMOUNT, ALIAS=E05, USAGE=P14.2, ACTUAL=P8, $
FIELDNAME=PERIOD, ALIAS=E06, USAGE=MT, ACTUAL=MT, $

Try that and see what happens.

Also, whatever happened to the original master created when this file was created? It is obviously a FOCUS hold file.

Ginny

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
THanks I will try that and let you know.

As far as the original. I cant seem to DYNAM ALLOC the hold master. I get no errors but when I check to see if the master is in the data set it is not there.
Dan

Windows SQL

WF 7.7

Expert
posted Hide Post
it is possible that HOLDMAST is already allocated to a temp pds. Issue a DYNAM FREE before the DYNAM ALLOC.

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Well I succeeded in get a MASTER made. Ginny's master config was right except the MT actual was DATE.

The holdmaster attempt this time create the file but didn't dump any thing into it.

Thanks

Dan

Windows SQL

WF 7.7

Expert
posted Hide Post
Good news! My hair was getting grayer by the minute. Roll Eyes

Ginny