Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Using KILL_RPC to prevent writing logs?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Using KILL_RPC to prevent writing logs?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Our FOCUS reportcaster repository database fills up with logs and gets very slow.

As a previous post indicated, we would like to prevent writing to the log when the report doesn't send anything out, so I created a pre-process of

TABLE FILE TEST_TBL
PRINT MONKEY
END
-RUN
-SET &&KILL_RPC=IF &LINES EQ 0 THEN 'Y' ELSE 'N';

This still writes to the log file, something like
Task error:User termination via KILL_RPC flag.
No report to distribute.

Is there any way to keep reportcaster from logging this KILL_RPG flag event?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason,

There is an entry on the Report Caster configuration page which allows you to change the number of days that log entries are kept. The default is 30. Maybe you could change that number to a smaller one and then schedule maintenance once a month or more frequently to REBUILD the log data bases.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
In stead of preventing you may write a small process that remove these type of logging data from the database.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
ginny: Thanks, but I don't think that works on a FOCUS repository. I wish it did!

Frank:I'm not really confident that I could write such a thing without causing big problems. I've read posts here on focal point about writing such a procedure, and took one straight out of the 7.6.1 RC manual, but we weren't able to get RC to work normally without rebooting the server after the process finished.

Are you folks politely saying what I want to do isn't possible. Wink

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you folks politely saying what I want to do isn't possible

Actually, nnnnnnyes.
If you run a RC process, it just WILL create some output and that output just WILL be written to the logging database.
A permanent solution to the logging problem would be to have some automated process active that will re-create the RC logging database every time that the Report caster server (ie the reporting server) is restarted, provided that this happens on a regular basis. I think such a process can be made to work correctly, although I haven't tried it myself.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
In SQL Server repository, we were able to delete records from BOTLOG and BOTLOG2 tables without any problem, look for similar files in FOCUS repositories. Perhaps you can write a modify routine to delete records in your development environment and see how it goes.

WF773, RC, RL, IWay, SQL2008, Oracle 11G, DB2 9.X, HP-DB2

Posts: 11 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: October 27, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Using the &&KILL_RPC pre-processor will still write to your log files, it just probably won't write AS MUCH as if you had run your job. So this doesn't give you NONE, it just gives you LESS.

We have taken the approach of automatically managing those log files. We have another RC job that runs a fex with the following:
-* File cleanlogs.fex
CREATE FILE rcaster/botlog DROP
-RUN
CREATE FILE rcaster/botlog2 DROP
-RUN

(rcaster is our application path pointer to the RC log files)
We just run this every couple weeks. Mind you it cleans out ALL the log entries, but that has been OK in our environment. We run it mid afternoon on a Wed so there is someone there to disable the job if, for some reason, we were needing to keep the log files. You could write a different fex to do a rebuild eliminating desired records or some other similar process.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Does anyone know of a way to clear all the records in the FOCUS RC repository over a certain age? That would be amazing! I had the impressiong that with the FOCUS repository, you sort of have to clear the whole file and rebuild it.

Expert
posted Hide Post
jason,
if you're going to use a focus repository for report Caster, what i so heartily suggest is that ON THE DAY YOU INSTALL, you make backup copies of the entire directory.
Then, you have an EMPTY botlog.
so whenever you want to clean it up,
stop the caster service
nuke the botlog and replace it with your clean one,
start up again
and you're good to go.
Is this the recommended procedure? ha. nope.
but it has worked like a charm for me.
much better than using the java tool to clean up the logs, the java tool just gets stuck...if you're going to use the java tool, its seems to have worked for me to tackle one job at a time, and purge it, rather than do a date-based purge (which does exist, in the tool, in answer to your ?).
If you don't have a clean copy of botlog, go install on some box somewhere, grab the empty files, and nuke the spare install.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post