Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Can 0 records found = No Distribution & append notification to another fex?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Can 0 records found = No Distribution & append notification to another fex?
 Login/Join

posted
Report A is run daily by A.fex. Reports B & C are related to A (A=transactionsDaily; B=holdingsByDealer; C=holdingsByName), and are created by running B.fex and C.fex respectively. Report A is generated and distributed by Report Caster...when it does not find any records to report for that day, it is distributed empty.

My requirements for this enhancement are...

When Report A contains no records:
  • Cancel distribution of the report
  • Append a string to the bottom of both reports B & C that reads (para) "***There were no transactions for yesterday***"

I was hoping that someone might have run into this requirement in the past, and could point me in the right direction...more for the second requirement than the first. Thanks!

DevStudio 766 Servlet - Self Service - MS Windows XP SP2, (output) Excel, PDF, HTML
  •  
    Virtuoso
    posted Hide Post
    Question 1:
    Easiest thing to do is run your request then add the following to the bottom
    -RUN
    -SET &&KILL_RPC = IF &LINES EQ 0 THEN 'Y' ELSE 'N';

&&KILL_RPC is a reserved var for Report Caster that tells it to end immediately - no distribution

Question 2:
    You would need to run report A again and test &LINES.
    -RUN
    -SET &NORECORDS=IF &LINES EQ 0 THEN '***There were no transactions for yesterday***' ELSE '';

Then in reports B and C you could include
    ON TABLE SUBFOOT
    "&NORECORDS"

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
    WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
    Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
    WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
    Master
    posted Hide Post
    You could create a file with the record count and read that file in before processing reports B and C. Something like:

-* This is to save the original record count
    -SET &TTLCNT=&LINES;
    SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
    FILEDEF DAILYCNT DISK /yourpath/DAILYCNT&YYMD.EVAL.TXT
    DEFINE FILE CAR
    CNT_RCS/D8=&TTLCNT;
    END
    TABLE FILE CAR
    PRINT CNT_RCS
    BY CAR NOPRINT
    WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 1
    ON TABLE SAVE AS DAILYCNT
    END

-* (then use Darin's suggestion)
    -SET &&KILL_RPC = IF &TTLCNT EQ 0 THEN 'Y' ELSE 'N';

then in B & C
    you would repeat the filedef and:
    -READ DAILYCNT &RCS.D8.
    -RUN
    -IF &RCS EQ 0 THEN GOTO NORECS;

Pat
    WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
    AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
    Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for the ideas! I couldn't remote in over the weekend, so I'm attempting to code this today. I'll post later on about how it all came out.

Platinum Member
    posted Hide Post
    All:

Don't we just love IBI's undocumented &&vars like Darrin Lee's disclosure of &&KILL_RPC?

This complaint is often voiced at user group and Summit meetings. If anyone knows of a COMPLETE list of all such, please post a reference to its location.

[My suspecion is that IBI keeps these hidden because many deal with system security values (I've seen a few of them), which if publically known would promote 'hacker heaven'.]

We've had an issue for years about not wanting to use RCaster notification 'None', but had to do so to eliminate 'No report to distribute' e-mails that come out as "errors" when the output is FTP'd or FILEDEF'd elsewhere.

Chris Austin:

I hope that your reports A and B are true reports that contain some records/lines. If they are themselves &LINES EQ 0, and are forced to print by using SET EMPTYREPORT=ON, then your "***There were no transactions for yesterday***" remark won't show in a FOOTER "at the bottom of both reports".

We've pointed out to IBI that the FOOTER text does not print when an empty report is forced by EMPTYREPORT=ON. They have passed our issue to their product improvement group.

Chris Burtt

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
    Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
    Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.

Posts: 154 | Location: NY | Registered: October 27, 2005Report This Post
    Virtuoso
    posted Hide Post
    &&KILL_RPC is actually in the documentation, although you probably wouldn't find it unless you already knew exactly what you were looking for and/or knew it was in there somewhere. You'll find it in Appendix B of the Report Caster User's Manual.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
    WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
    Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
    WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by cburtt:
    All:

Don't we just love IBI's undocumented &&vars like Darrin Lee's disclosure of &&KILL_RPC?

This complaint is often voiced at user group and Summit meetings. If anyone knows of a COMPLETE list of all such, please post a reference to its location.

[My suspecion is that IBI keeps these hidden because many deal with system security values (I've seen a few of them), which if publically known would promote 'hacker heaven'.]

We've had an issue for years about not wanting to use RCaster notification 'None', but had to do so to eliminate 'No report to distribute' e-mails that come out as "errors" when the output is FTP'd or FILEDEF'd elsewhere.

I've probably read 1000 pages of WebFocus documentation since November, and there is no way that I would dig through it in lieu of posting a question here or referring to an existing .fex w/ the functionality I'm dealing with (9/10 instances where research is needed, this is how I figure it out).

Documenting an application with such a large scope is no joke...I'm sure we'd all appreciate more relevant 1-pagers, quick hits, something to thumbtack on the wall and refer to, etc...though it could be a lot worse!

quote:
    Chris Austin:

I hope that your reports A and B are true reports that contain some records/lines. If they are themselves &LINES EQ 0, and are forced to print by using SET EMPTYREPORT=ON, then your "***There were no transactions for yesterday***" remark won't show in a FOOTER "at the bottom of both reports".

We've pointed out to IBI that the FOOTER text does not print when an empty report is forced by EMPTYREPORT=ON. They have passed our issue to their product improvement group.

Chris Burtt

Thanks for the heads-up. Both of the downstream reports will always contain lines.

DevStudio 766 Servlet - Self Service - MS Windows XP SP2, (output) Excel, PDF, HTML

Guru
    posted Hide Post
    As has been mentioned recently in another post, SET EMPTYREPORT=ANSI
    prints the footer.

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post