Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     How to increase IBIF_max_messages?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
How to increase IBIF_max_messages?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all,

I am getting the following error while trying to generate a compound pdf report which runs to 40 pages.

Reporting Server messages exceeded IBIF_max_messages, report retrieval aborted.

Please contact your WebFOCUS administrator.

If anyone know why this problem occurs, please let me brief on the cause of this problem and also suggest a solution.

Thanks in advance,
Aravind

Thanks and Regards,
Aravindbaalaaji

Posts: 12 | Location: India | Registered: February 13, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The IBIF_max_messages is introduced with release 714.
It keeps track of the number of output lines the server generates. If that number (including results from echo-ing) gets to exceed a certain maximum (default 20000) then this error will be posted and the agent will be killed.
To remedy this, go to the webfocus administartion console (for instance http://localhost/ibi_html/wfconsole.htm) log on as admin and click the Configuration item and then under Client settings the General option. In the right window that is then shown, scroll to the bottom. There you'll find the setting for this parameter. Set it to 0 to disable this feature.
But take care: usually this error indicates that something may be very wrong with the process that is running. So I would advise to take a very good look at the fex that causes this error to happen, before modifying the parameter.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
<Navin>
posted
Hi

i chked with the configuration file and , as u said that was set to 20000 . I reverted to 0.
I restarted the server .

But again i am facing the same issue .

Note: I am giving the request via the ReportCaster. The same query runs fine in the online reporting.But it fails in the Reportcaster.

Plz give some solutions.

Thanks in Advance.

Report This Post
<Navin>
posted
also plz let me know , where to change the config file.
in Server side or the client side .

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Since you changed it using the administration console, this would have been the correct place.
There is nothing in the reportcaster environment that holds this variable.
But if you face the same error message after changing it and recyllcing the server, there is only one thing left to do, I think.
Retsart the application server (meaning TomCat) and/or IIS.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
if your request is returning that many messages have you considered looking into what those messages are and actually remove them.

From my understanding the messages can be ECHO info, -TYPE's, HOLD file creations but to have over 20K worth of messages seems to be a lot.

posted Hide Post
Hi,
Can you explain in detail about the list of items that are included in the IBIF_max_messages?

For our report we are creating around 8 hold files and 70 charts in SVG format. Will the size of the charts also be considered in IBIF_max_messages size?

Thanks and Regards,
Aravindbaalaaji

Posts: 12 | Location: India | Registered: February 13, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't be... Usually when I hit max messages, it's because I've got some infinite loop or something. As others have said, 20k worth of messages is a LOT. I've got some pretty big fexes and even with full echo I don't think I ever get close to that unless it repeats unexpectedly.

Check for loops and check your goto's. The one that usually gets me is a goto that has a tag name that I've used more than once...

Production: 7.6.6 WF Server  <=>  7.6.6 WF Client  <=>  7.6.6 Dev Studio
Testing: <none>
Using MRE & BID.  Connected to MS SQL Server 2005
Output Types: HTML, Excel, PDF

Posts: 230 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, code that runs online doesn't run well in Report Caster.

Try reducing the number of compound reports you are producing until you find out what your threshhold is for failure.

Also, what is the message(s) you are getting?

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post