Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED]Converting int to varchar

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED]Converting int to varchar
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
when i convert and INT to VarChar it converts like the following

INT = 1

CONVERTED

VarChar = 000001

How do I convert it So it is just '1' ?

Thanks for the help!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charles Richards,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
On the presumption that you used something like:

VARCHAR/A6V = EDIT(INT);

you have run afoul of the edit functions always preceeding the value with 0's to the full size of the field.

try CTRAN to convert those pesky 0's to blanks, or alternatively TRIM to remove them.

Robert F. Bowley Jr.
Owner
TaRa Solutions, LLC

In WebFOCUS since 2001

Posts: 132 | Location: Gadsden, Al | Registered: July 22, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You don't specify how you're converting to VarChar, but I suspect it's the EDIT function - it behaves the same for varchar or normal aplha fields.

Try the PTOA function:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES
COMPUTE SALESV1/A10V = EDIT(SALES);

COMPUTE SALESP/P6S = SALES;
COMPUTE SALESV2/A10V = PTOA(SALESP, '(P6S)', 'A10V');

BY COUNTRY
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
<FreSte>
posted
I would go for the "FPRINT-function"

TABLE FILE CAR
  SUM
    SALES
    COMPUTE ALPHA_SALES/A10 = FPRINT(SALES, 'I6','A10');
  BY COUNTRY
END

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes you would, wouldn't you? Smiler

Thanks for reminding us. I keep forgetting this one as it isn't in the 7.6 docs. Eeker

Cheers,

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply however I dont have the funtino FPRINT or PTOA

Yes I was using EDIT()
Any other funtions that you would reccomend?
Im on webfocus 7.6.8

I don't understand how trim works or how to populate the fields, however i think it always cuts off the same amount of charactors and the integer may vary sizes

And If I use CTRAN to take off the 0's would it affect 000010 and convert it to 1 or 10, and what values do I use to use

EX.

Convert INTs

TO VarChar to look like the following

Currently it converts it to look like the following

how would I accomplish this?

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
PTOA is definitely availbale in v7.6.8 - it's been around a long time. FPRINT is also available, though not documented for v7.6.*.

When you say you don't have these two functions, do you mean they're not available in some GUI development tool, or are you hand-coding?

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
This article may help:

Converting and Shortening an Integer to Alphanumeric

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
What about converting a decimal into a CharVar

its so I can Cancatanate them

is that possible or how I could combine them in HTML like the following

MONEY | '.<.b.r. ./.>.' | MONEY2

any Suggestions?

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
FPRINT worked great thank you so much... now all i have to do is figure out how to convert a decimal number to VarChar or concatenate to deciaml values or packed values

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

<FreSte>
posted
FPRINT is still the function to go for .....

DEFINE FILE CAR
  DEALER_COST_P/P12.2 = DEALER_COST * 1.23;
END

TABLE FILE CAR
  SUM
    SALES
    DEALER_COST_P
    COMPUTE ALPHA_I/A10 = FPRINT(SALES,         'I6',    'A10');
    COMPUTE ALPHA_D/A20 = FPRINT(DEALER_COST,   'D12.2', 'A20');
    COMPUTE ALPHA_P/A20 = FPRINT(DEALER_COST_P, 'P12.2', 'A20');
  BY COUNTRY
END

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It cuts off the decimals i believe thought, correct?
I was trying to keep them

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

<FreSte>
posted
No, it doesn't. The output is as follows

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <FreSte>,

Report This Post