Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Creating schedules with REST from an embedded app

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Creating schedules with REST from an embedded app
 Login/Join

posted
We have a .NET application with embedded WebFOCUS reports, and are looking at adding the ability for users to schedule those reports. The full blown RC interface is not an option so we're looking at using web services. If we wanted to create schedules by calling a fex, would we need to be licensed for both the enablement option and the REST adapter?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8.0.08
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You should contact your local IBI SE or Sales Rep for that answer.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
If you plan on doing this scheduling from your .NET application, there's no need for the REST adapter.

I see that you're on WebFOCUS 8.0.08.

In WebFOCUS 8203, we introduced a WebFOCUS Client adapter which does not have to be licensed which has out-of-the-box examples of using WebFOCUS Reports (Fexes) to create ReportCaster Schedules.

Since this adapter calls WebFOCUS RESTful Web Services, as dhagen stated, you should contact your IBI SE or Sales Rep for licensing requirements.

Posts: 229 | Location: New York | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Efrem. I spoke with my rep this afternoon and it sounds like the client adapter in 8203 is a good fit for what I'm trying to achieve. Unfortunate I had to leave Summit before the last track on Thursday or I could have caught your presentation and already made some progress on this.

WebFOCUS 8.0.08
Windows, All Outputs

posted Hide Post
We're hitting a lot of issues upgrading to 8.2 so I'm looking at how I can implement in 8.0.08 using the REST adapter and enablement option, but struggling to create the metadata. I see a lot of synonyms in other posts but none for create folder/create schedule/delete schedule. Any chance someone can post those, or better yet teach me how to fish and point me to a reference on creating them?

WebFOCUS 8.0.08
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Juram,
I think you should open a Hottrack case.

They would know how to get you examples.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Please include a reference to This Post as well.

Thanks, Doug ( c/o Annette Smiler )

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I opened a case.

I'm able to generate metadata through the web console, but I'm crashing the server trying to use it. Can you tell me how you went about creating the synonyms I see on a lot of your posts? A lot of blood, sweat, and tears?

WebFOCUS 8.0.08
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
You should get my Summit presentation on how to integrate both the REST adapter and the new WebFOCUS Client adapter with WebFOCUS RESTful Web Services.

In WebFOCUS 8203, there is an out-of-box solution of this which includes Metadata and Fex examples.
The WebFOCUS Client adapter simplifies everything.

posted Hide Post
I have your Summit presentation, and using that stack was able to develop a solution that's working very well. It's definitely much simpler than trying to use the REST adapter directly. My only problem is the solution is now tied to the upgrade and we're hitting some bumps in that road, so I'm looking for a fallback using 8.0.08.

WebFOCUS 8.0.08
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Juram,
In your 8008 environment, do you have CSRF Enforcement enabled.
Check under Filters in the Administration Console.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Juram,
Ignore my previous post.
CSRF was not implemented for WebFOCUS RESTful Web Services in 8008.

Do you have the samples from the WebFOCUS Client adapter in 8203.

If so, you can take the ReportCaster examples and I can tell you what to change to make them work with the REST adapter.

I don't have 8008 but I was able to create a schedule in 8010.

Efrem

posted Hide Post
Yes I have the samples from the client adapter. I tried to convert for use with the REST adapter, but with limited success. Any help converting those would be much appreciated.

WebFOCUS 8.0.08
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Juram,
1/ Add a REST adapter Connection with the URL being http://machinename:8080/ibi_apps

2/ Perform Create Synonym for the signOn call. It should be an Insert(Post) and enter something similar to the following in Document Sample:
IBIRS_action=signOn&IBIRS_userName=admin&IBIRS_password=admin

3/ Modify the REST connection to select Chain Authentication from the Security Dropdown box.
Select the synonym created in Step #2.

4/ Change the SUFFIX in create_schedule.mas from WFCREST to REST.

5/ As an example, use create_schedule_once_mr_library.fex for the following changes.
Or, you can use one of the other Create Schedule examples.

Replace the Start Date in Local Time and the Convert Date to Unix Time Stamp to the following:
-* Start Date in Local Time
-SET &STARTDATE = '2050-07-08 14:00:00';
-SET &NOW = HGETC(8,'HYYMDs');
-SET &NOWZ = HGETZ(8,'HYYMDs');
-SET &ANOW = FPRINT(&NOW,'HYYMDs','A20');
-SET &ANOWZ = FPRINT(&NOWZ,'HYYMDs','A20');
-SET &OFFSET = HDIFF(&NOWZ,&NOW,'HOURS','D6.2');
-SET &STARTDATE_HYYMDS = HINPUT(19, &STARTDATE, 8, 'HYYMDS');
-SET &STARTDATE_GMT = HADD(&STARTDATE_HYYMDS, 'HOURS', &OFFSET , 8, 'HYYMDS');

-*Convert Date to Unix Time Stamp
-SET &BASEDATE_HYYMDS=HINPUT(19, '1970-01-01 00:00:00', 8, 'HYYMDS');
-SET &UNIXTIME_START = LJUST(20,FTOA(HDIFF(&STARTDATE_GMT,&BASEDATE_HYYMDS,'ss','D20') * 1000 , '(D20c)', 'A20'), 'A20');

6/ Make sure you change the application qualification on the TABLE FILE statement to the appropriate application.

Good Luck!

Efrem

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Juram,
I should also mention that the Service URL Extension for Step #2 should be rs/ibfs .

Efrem