Focal Point
[SOLVED] Keyboard shortcut to submit report?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1777045495

November 30, 2010, 12:03 PM
mark66
[SOLVED] Keyboard shortcut to submit report?
Hi all,

A new client has asked if we could add functionality to our HTML screens where the user could press a certain keyboard button to submit the 'Run Report' button on the screen? Possibly a function key?

I am not sure why they can't just scroll down a bit and click the Run button, but hey I have been asked!

I have searched both the forum and the internet and I can't find much on triggering a JS event on a specific button press. Perhaps it is not a good idea? I am also not sure if there is a suitable function key available in IE for the purpose?

Anyway, thought I would air the question in case someone else has done something similar!

Thanks

Mark

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFocus 765. iSeries v5r4
November 30, 2010, 12:21 PM
GamP
Some years ago I have built something to prevent users to use the backspace key when not on any field in the window. It uses a few basic js commands. My complete procedure is:
document.onkeydown = catchIt;

function catchIt() {
 var curelem = document.activeElement.name;
 if (window.event.keyCode == 8) {
  if (typeof curelem == "undefined") { return false; }
  return true;}
}
The bit you're looking for is the very first statement - the onkeydown one - and the window.event.keyCode. I'm sure you can find out somewhere on the internet what the key code for function key F5 is. That's also the key that DevStudio recognizes to execute a request.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988
November 30, 2010, 12:49 PM
mark66
Hi GamP,

Thank you, initial run worked!

document.onkeydown = catchIt;

function catchIt() {
if (window.event.keyCode == 113) {
   document.getElementById('btnRun').click();
}