Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     is this a focus problem?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
is this a focus problem?
 Login/Join

posted
Please help me to slove this problem.

I am joining two tables
table A contains userid, Fname, Lname
table B contains userid, groupID

Table A has some userid that may or may not be in table B
Since I want to list all the userid that are in table A, I have left outer join , multiple

When I do not exclude any of the groupid then all those userid in table A show -up but when I exclude some or any one groupid, it will list only those userid that are present in both the tables. But I thought it should list all the userid in table A except those that are in excluded group.
Please help.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Try setting
ALL = ON
or
ALL = PASS

May or may not help depending on your data source.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Since you are doing a record selection on a field in table B, you need to tell focus to allow records that do not have a table B value to PASS the record selection. SET ALL = PASS will tell focus to let these records PASS the record selection.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried both, SET ALL = PASS and also SET ALL = ON. but didn't work. any other suggestions please????
thanks

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
In the Master File Description (MFD) for Table B, does the GROUPID field have the MISSING=ON property?

Thanks!

Mickey

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it does have MISSING = ON

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Can you post some of your code for us to see how you coded the request?

Also, what database are you using? Oracle? SQL Serve? FOCUS? DB2?

Thanks!

Mickey

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Here's what I think is happening. With ALL=ON, the join is returning the records you want. If you did a TABLE FILE after the join, with no WHERE statements, you'd see the records. ALL=ON only tells FOCUS to not eliminate records in table A, even if there are no matches in table B. Your WHERE statement is operating on the join result set (after the join, basically), and you have told WebFOCUS to exclude all records that have a group id equal to some value, or set of values. Where there was no matching B record, group id is null, which, I think, means that the record will fail any equality check other than IS MISSING. You might try changing your WHERE to read something like:

WHERE (GROUPID NE 'ABC') OR (GROUPID IS MISSING)

I'm not sure of myself here. Have to see your masters and your code to be sure. Wouldn't hurt to see example data and what you expect the result to be.

dwf

Posts: 135 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: March 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it works now. I had to do two things:
WHERE (GROUPID NE 'ABC') OR (GROUPID IS MISSING)
and SET ALL = PASS
It seems that it does not matter whether I have missing on attributes in my master file or not as it works with or without missing on.
Thank you all for your help.