Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Global Variable in MRE?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Global Variable in MRE?
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I am testing out using &&Variables and I have set a Global variable on my reporting server, but I run into a slight issue. On initial launch of my portal the global variable does not resolve, until I navigate to a second page in the portal.

I have a launch fex from Content(MRE) that launches an HTML (on the Reporting Server) which executes report fexes. The &&Variable is in the HTML, which is basically a URL for another application. I wanted to set these statically in the environment.

It’s like I need the Client to set the &&Variable so on initial launch it will have the value resolved.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MattC,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Jeeze Matt, that sounds like my problem. I'm on WF8 for the first time and my tricks with amper variables don't want to work. I don't see the value appear. If I get any insight I'll let you knw.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
MattC,

we have a fex ( say: globvars.fex ) with content like:
-SET &&CURRENT_WEEK = 9;
-SET &&CURRENT_YEAR = 2014;

etc.
that is included in all fexi ( automatically ).

The content of that fex itself is being generated by another fex that with a daily schedule.

Generator:
Output is saved
ON TABLE SAVE AS 'APPLICATIONNAME/GLOBALS.FTM'

globvars.fex contains code:
-INCLUDE 'applicationname/globals.ftm

(yes, that works ;-)

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don’t think your suggestion will work in this situation. The Global Variable that I am trying to get resolved is in a HTML. Basically I have 4 environments (DEV,TEST,PQA,PROD) I have a URL link in the HTML that points to an application and it has it’s 4 environments. I am trying to set the variable for each environment so when we move this HTML, the HTML will not get promoted with a bad URL for another environment.

<a style="TOP: 30PX; BORDER=0; HEIGHT: 16px; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; font-weight:900; WIDTH: 100PX; LEFT: 10px; POSITION: ABSOLUTE;" title="Restaurant Data Correction" onmouseover="this.style.cursor ='hand'" href="&&RDCVARIABLE" target="_blank">Data Corrections </a>  

&&RDCVARIABLE does get resolved on the second drill , but on initial launch it doesn’t. I do have an alternate solution that would probably work. It’s more effort of course thats why I was trying to get Global Variables to work as it would be a slam dunk.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Master
posted Hide Post
MattC.

How about this:
Make a fex.

-SET &AHREF_LOCATION = 'HTTP://www.chouke.nl/' | &&RDCVARIABLE;

( or whatever you want as an URL build up with parameters )

-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<html>
<body>
<a href="&AHREF_LOCATION">your link here</a>
</body>
</html>
-HTMLFORM END

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
That is similiar to my alternate option.

This is what I created in HTML Composer which would work.

<BODY style="OVERFLOW: auto" class=IBI_PageBg maptype="0" thumbnailscale="4" elementtype="21" edaconnectionrequired="true"><SPAN style="Z-INDEX: 1; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 90px; HEIGHT: 20px; TOP: 80px; LEFT: 100px" id=anchor1 class=IBIfield tabIndex=1 elementtype="4"><A id=anchor2 href="javascript:OnExecute(null, 'anchor2')" autoExecute="true" requests_list="0" name="anchor2">Data Corrections</A></SPAN><INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=layoutinfo type=hidden resourcectrlids="ITEM2;IBI_THEME_CSS" name="inputhidden1"><INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=ibiapp_app value=matt type=hidden name="ibiapp_app"><INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=ibic_server value=EDASERVE type=hidden isdataserversarea="1" name="ibic_server"><xml id=focus_xmlelement><script type="text/xml"><rootxmlnode focoption="_FOC_NULL"><variables></variables><input_controls></input_controls><requests nextrequestsid="0"><request requestid="0" sourcetype="typeFex" targettype="window" targetname="_blank" ibif_ex="rdc_url.fex" activereport="0" reportcolumns="" reportrealcolumns="" ibiapp_app="matt"></request></requests><other_bound_objects></other_bound_objects></rootxmlnode></script>

I would have to extract the parts I need and put them into my HTMLs which are not developed in Composer.

I would also make it more dynamic and actually do a SQL call to a table where the APP URL's are stored. We do this for other appplications already, but this was kind of a unique situation where I was hoping it could be simplified by using Global Variables.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Guru
posted Hide Post
My IBI Technical rep will be here on site today as I have a meeting with her. Maybe I will pester her for a bit on G Variables.

I probably could have had the alternate already implemented, but curiosity is killing the cat here.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
I don't know if things have changed in WF8, but in prior releases I have put this as a setting in site.wfs. Each environment (DEV,TEST,PQA,PROD) gets their the variable and unique value. This is achieved from the WF Client Admin Console > Configuration > Custom Settings.

Example:

DEV
# Pass the server name
CPSERV=dviappv02
<SET>CPSERV(pass)

QA
# Pass the server name
CPSERV=qaiappv05
<SET>CPSERV(pass)

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
That does still apply in WF 8 amd I was seeing it come in, I just wasn't getting it resolved in the HTML for a href.

I ended up removing it from my reporting servers and only having it in the sites in my Administration Console as you suggested.

I did get it to fully work by using this

href="!IBI.AMP.RDCVARIABLE;"  

WebFOCUS 8.1.05