Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Mac Guyer Technique
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi All,

i would like to know about Mcguyer Texhnique, one of my friend said by using this technique we can do a lot of things in WebFOCUS and FOCUS.

if any one has clear idea about this please explain me clearely, i already check the IBi website they had given about this technoque but i was not able to understand this tech.

please explaine me this with any example,

Thanks,

Thanks,
Kalyan.S
------------------------------------
WebFOCUS 7.1.4, Win XP SP2,
Oracle8i.

Posts: 155 | Location: Bangalore. | Registered: January 24, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
It's joining all records in your table to a dummy file with the number of records you wish to multiply the original by. It enables you to do PRINT X OVER Y OVER Z HOLD.

Surprised that wf does not have something like
JOIN <table-name> TO MULTIPLIER <n> TIMES

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Kalyan,

Remember that there is a lot of information on the IB website if only you look for it. Go to IBI.com and then search on "McGyver" (not "Mac Guyer") and you will find a document detailing an article by Noreen Redden on the "McGyver technique revisited" (dated 03 Jun 07 on the search but original is Spring 2005).

This will give you everything you wanted to know, so print it out!!

T

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tony A,

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remember that there is a lot of information on the IB website if only you look for it. Go to IBI.com and then search on "McGyver" (not "Mac Guyer") and you will find a document detailing an article by Noreen Redden on the "McGyver technique revisited" (dated 03 Jun 07 on the search but original is Spring 2005).

I am very familiar with this technique. I think I first found out about it at the National FUSE in Atlanta in 93(now called Summit) presented by Noreen. I am particularly interested in the new article dated 03 Jun 07. I logged in to tech support but could not find this particular article which I assume to contain more inventive and imaginative ways to use it. I used the advanced search against all files first with "McGyver technique revisited" (no hits) and then with just "McGyver". Spring 2005 came up but not the one "revisited" new article I'm looking for. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

FOCUS 7.6 MVS PDF,HTML,EXCEL

Posts: 115 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 28, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I put all of the IB stuff into a word document some time back. If you'd like send me a private email and I'll send it.

Will have to see if I can find the document added that ET referenced.

I use it some, and usually just create the McGyver file on the fly so to speak as we had a different security model set up for our applications.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ET,

My apologies, the article in the Spring 2005 is the one to which I refer. In the text it does say "here's a new slant on the venerable McGyver technique" and it is very much the same technique as Art and Noreen presented in the Wizard session at Summit.

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. They usually post all the presentations sometime soon anyway. I'm sure I will be able to find it then.

ET

Expert
posted Hide Post
http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/bestpractices/macgyver/toc.html
here's the link that puts all the Mac Gyver articles together in one place

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Leah,

could you please send the IBI collection word file to this mail id:
quote:
kalyanswarna@gmail.com
Thanks for your mail.

Thnaks to all,

Thanks,
Kalyan.S
Oracle8i.

Posts: 155 | Location: Bangalore. | Registered: January 24, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,
if any one having examples and work arounds on this Technique(MacGyver) please let me know.
that could be great helpful to me. why i am asking is i am not able to understand the article in IBI WebSite, if i get any Example by Using CAR so that i can understand very easily.

Thanks,

Thanks,
Kalyan.S
Oracle8i.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Kalyan, the very first article on the page from the link that Susannah posted use the Car file as an example.

Here is an excerpt pasted below. Use the link for all the details.

Good luck
ET

So from record 1, we can create 79 records as shown in Figure 5.

DYNAM ALLOC FILE FSEQ DATASET hlvl.MASTER.DATA(FSEQ) SHR REU
JOIN BLANK IN CAR WITH COUNTRY TO BLANK IN FSEQ AS AJ1
DEFINE FILE CAR
BLANK/A1 WITH COUNTRY =' ';
END
TABLEF FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY CAR MODEL BODYTYPE COUNTER
WHERE COUNTRY LE 79
END
FIGURE 4 - THE 79 CREATED RECORDS

COUNTRY CAR MODEL BODYTYPE COUNTER
ENGLAND JAGUAR V12XKE AUTO CONVERTIBLE 1
ENGLAND JAGUAR V12XKE AUTO CONVERTIBLE 2
ENGLAND JAGUAR V12XKE AUTO CONVERTIBLE 3
ENGLAND JAGUAR V12XKE AUTO CONVERTIBLE 79
Of course, all 79 records are identical (clones for the sci/fi fans), but DEFINE will fix that up:

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
hi friends,

I read the Macgvyer concept , this is what i understood .

So, We join a table say EMPDATA with FSEQ..

EMPDATA has 41 records in it.

Using Macgvyer technique we can display subfoots at any location in the report.

The location of the subfoot tells us the hierarchy that is which is a parent and which is a child.

For eg - Below is a report layout

Dept Div PO Cost
111 11 1 10
111 11 2 20
111 11 3 30

Total for 11 Div is 60

111 22 4 30
111 22 5 20
111 22 6 10

Total for 22 Div is 60

222 33 7 10
222 33 8 20
222 33 9 30

Total for 33 Div is 60

222 44 10 30
222 44 11 20
222 44 12 10

Total for 44 div is 60

Total for 111 dept is 120
Total for 222 dept is 120

The Grand total is 240

In the above case , DEPT , DIV are the parent fields PO is the child .. as EMPDATA has 41 records in it.

According to the above layout , the field counter after the join condition has 1 repeated 41 times , value 2 41 times and value 3 41 times because there are 41 records in EMPDATA.

In define , we check for counter values ( whether is 1,2 or 3 ) and accordingly we manipulate the subfoot placements and calculations.

Please correct me if i am wrong...

This is a great technique..we have to understand it and use it correctly..

WebFOCUS 714
Windows XP
Output: HTML,PDF,Excel

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
HI FELLAS,

I understood it.. It will be really helpful if i get some more tips and guidelines on its usage from the wizards out there Smiler

Thanks a lot

WebFOCUS 714
Windows XP
Output: HTML,PDF,Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Kalyan,

There have been lately a few examples which were posted. For example here. You can search this forum for "mcguyver". Also, I have a ppt by Noreen and Art which I will send you.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post