Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Using HTML, JavaScript, and CSS to Interface with WebFOCUS

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Using HTML, JavaScript, and CSS to Interface with WebFOCUS
 Login/Join

posted
With the exception of using HTML Composer, has anyone had any experience/luck creating his/her own HTML, JavaScript and CSS and interfacing it with WebFOCUS?

I have spent time creating an HTML Composer document hoping to view the HTML code and understand how this works. I am still not understanding how/if I can do this?

Any help/hints would be greatly appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6.4 / 7.7.03
Unix and Windows
Excel, PDF

Posts: 11 | Location: Bloomington, IL | Registered: July 22, 2011Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
had any experience/luck creating his/her own HTML, JavaScript and CSS and interfacing it with WebFOCUS
This is all we did before those GUI tools reared their (apparently now slightly less) ugly heads...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Previously it used to be so. But with 7.7 and above, HTML composer is lot improved. I hope 8 would be lot and lot better.

HTML,PDF,EXL2K, Active, All

Posts: 484 | Registered: February 03, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
(apparently now slightly less)

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Francis - Can you give me any tips on how to add the FOCEXEC code into the HTML? I really do not want to use the HTML Composer.

Thanks!

WebFOCUS 7.6.4 / 7.7.03
Unix and Windows
Excel, PDF

Posts: 11 | Location: Bloomington, IL | Registered: July 22, 2011Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Minimal HTML to run a WebFOCUS report:

<html>
<head>
<title>Demo Launch WebFOCUS program</title>

</head>

<body>

<form method="post" action="/ibi_apps/WFServlet?" target="wfreport">

<input type="hidden" name="IBIF_focexec" value="bid1">

<select name="PARM1">
<option value="D1">D 1</option>
<option value="D2">D 2</option>
<option value="D3">D 3</option>
</select>

<input type="submit" value="Submit">

</form>

</body>
</html>

Any form object placed within the form will generate WebFOCUS parameters with the selected values.

I'm sure this is all in one of the manuals...

Francis

posted Hide Post
Thanks Francis. One would think that this would be in one of the manuals, however, I sure couldn't find anything, and I have been searching for awhile.

Thanks for the code. I will try it out.

WebFOCUS 7.6.4 / 7.7.03
Unix and Windows
Excel, PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
The basics for a call to WebFOCUS are simple and standard, as Francis' example shows.

As the call to the WebFOCUS server is through a servlet, a set of parameters needs to be passed to the servlet.

The key ones are:

• IBIF_ex (The fex)
  • IBIAPP_app (The app path, if it needs changing.)
  • IBIC_server (The node name of the server to connect to)
  • IBIC_user (The user to use to connect to the WebFOCUS server, if needed)
  • IBIC_pass (The users password to use to connect to the WebFOCUS server, if needed)
  • Any parameters needed for the fex.

There are many other parameters that can be set that controls whats happening, also if you are useing MRE, there is a set for that as well.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Waz

This is great info. Can you share a couple of the MRE parameters?

We use MRE for the majority of our reporting.

Thanks!

WebFOCUS 7.6.4 / 7.7.03
Unix and Windows
Excel, PDF

posted Hide Post
Tiggy, I don't use HTML composer however i'm able to achieve great looking reports and applications let me tell you how:

I do all the front end funcionality on a regular html page with my own JS and CSS, I build a backend WF fex with the printing and I just parse the results on the html page via jquery if I want to add any special effects like theming, editable grids, sortable tables or dynamic hover.

So pretty much you would be hitting a fex with ajax requests, I hope i made sense.

Regards,

WebFocus 768
Windows, all output

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Dawn,

Here is a link to the documentation.

http://documentation.informati...i/source/topic15.htm

It will explain most things you will want to do.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much!!

Dawn

WebFOCUS 7.6.4 / 7.7.03
Unix and Windows
Excel, PDF

posted Hide Post
Hi Rafael.AZ,

Yes, your post makes sense. I am just learning JavaScript and JQUERY.

Could you give me an example of what you mean by "I just parse the results on the html page via jquery"?

Thanks!

WebFOCUS 7.6.4 / 7.7.03
Unix and Windows
Excel, PDF

<FreSte>
posted
Maybe this example will clarify it a bit.

-Fred-

Report This Post