Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     user entering parameter values

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
user entering parameter values
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I'm creating an fex file with parameters as textboxes so that users can enter values. I have them entered in the where assist feature as And parameters. For example, Action=Open And LoginID=erica. This works fine, however if the user only inputs an Action then I would like it to bring back all LoginIDs. But right now it looks like its doing: where Action=Open and LoginID=''. Obviously I don't have any LoginIDs that are blank.

Can someone show me the way? Thanks!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Erica,

Can you explain this a little better. What do you mean by all LoginID's?

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll try. Smiler

I am having the fex page display a form for the user to fill in values. One textbox is for the Action and one textbox is to type in the LoginID. If I type in both of these fields then my report comes up correctly. However, if I only type in an action it's because I want to see all results for all LoginIDs (so I don't want to enter just one loginid in the textbox).

Expert
posted Hide Post
In your focexec, check the length or contents of the amper variable for the loginid field. If it is not there, bypass the WHERE LOGINID EQ '&LOGINID' statement.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks GinnyJakes. Would I do that in the Source tab of Developer Studio?

Master
posted Hide Post
The source tab will take you to the source code. Since this is a dialogue manager command that is where you would put it. In addition to checking for spaces, if you did your parameter screen with screen painter you will need to also check for 'FOC_NONE'

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Also, Erica, please update your profile signature with your product suite, release, and platform. That makes it easier for us to help you.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a newbie to Webfocus (only 1 training class a month ago) and therefore I don't completely understand what you guys are trying to tell me about fixing my issue. Is there some documentation you can point me to? Maybe something about how to use the dialogue manager within a form or just more detail in your response? Thanks!

Webfocus Enterprise Suite release 7.6.4 / Platform: Windows 2000

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Try doing a search on FOC_NONE.

Also as Ginny said..

** Update signature
1) Logon to Focal Point and go into your complete profile.
2) Scroll down the page until you see the “Signature” field.
3) Fill in the signature you want to use. Here is a sample to model:

Prod: WebFOCUS 5.2.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/ISAPI Mode
Test: WebFOCUS 7.1 on Win 2K/IIS 6/Weblogic 8.1/Servlet Mode

4) Once all changes are made/added, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the Submit button.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You could add a WHERE clause like this
WHERE (LoginID EQ '&LoginID') OR ('&LoginID' EQ '')

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Erica.

If I understand you correctly you have created a WHERE statement something like this:

WHERE Action EQ '&ACTION' AND LoginId EQ '&ACTION';

I am guessing that you are using autoprompting to produce the page the user fills in.

I would suggest two things. Since your WHERE statement uses an AND change it to be two separate WHERE statements (you can do this through the gui you don't have to go into the code):

WHERE Action EQ '&ACTION';
WHERE LoginId EQ '&LOGINID';

Then, rather than using autoprompting use the html layout painter to design a launch page. This is where it is easy to set an "ALL' option that translates into FOC_NONE.

Check out the following manual:
Developing Reporting Applications with Graphical Tools
Version 7 Release 6
DN4500798.0307
Chapter 5: Designing a User Interface for a Web Application With the HTML Layout Painter

ttfn, kp

Access to most releases from R52x, on multiple platforms.

Posts: 346 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
At this point you are probably more confused than when you started. There are some things you can do to help yourself and to help us help you. Prarie gave you instructions for updating your signature, knowing what version you are on and what operating system is important.

Second, on the upper right hand corner of this page there is a link "Search the technical documentation library", you can download all of the manuals for your version there.

Three, on the upper left hand side there is a search button, it will let you search previous posts for similar problems. There have been lots of previous posts about using FOC_NONE for ALL.

Four, you can post your code. The link at the top of the reply window that looks like "< / >" will bring up code boxes. Open the source from dev studio and cut and paste it between the code boxes.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,

posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for you comments! I will look into everything posted and post my solution when I get it figured out.

Master
posted Hide Post
One other thing Erica, if you haven't signed up to receive the new messages by email you should, I still learn new things everyday.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,

posted Hide Post
Heres what I did to accomplish my task. It might not be the best way, but I thought I'd post it in case someone else had the same problem.

First I create a dialogue manager before my report. In my dialogue manager I put:
-SET &p_LoginID = IF &LOGINID EQ '' THEN 'FOC_NONE' ELSE UPCASE(&LOGINID.LENGTH,&LOGINID, 'A&LOGINID.LENGTH');

Second I went into my report to fix the where clause. Now my where clause says:
WHERE LOGINID EQ '&p_LoginID';

This made my report work the way I wanted. Thanks to everyone for their help!