Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Can I issue a FileDef in Data Migrator?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Can I issue a FileDef in Data Migrator?
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I am writing output to an xml file via the xml adapter with Data Migrator. I'd like to dynamically name the output file based on the current date and drop it into a web-accessible subdirectory on the server.

Currently I have a DATASET command in the master file, but it's static. Does anyone know a way to get a dynamically generated name onto the output file of my Data Migrator run?

I'd very much like to do this without hosing Data Migrator's GUI interface so that a technician can work with the routine in the future.

J.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Your question is probably best posted in the iWay Forum where the Data Migrator users play.

I'm sure that DM allows for some way to customize the output file name, but if nothing else, you can always create an RPC which contains the FILEDEF and as much of the code to create your outfile as you need.

Hard to be more specific without seeing your process.

Best bet, as I mentioned is to repost the question in the iWay forum.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Have you ever looked in the I-Way forum? It's awfully quiet over there.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I may just need to create a flow with a traditional focexec in the mix.

J.

Expert
posted Hide Post
John,

Contact Jessica at jessica.bottone@resilientbiz.com.

She is exceptional working with Data Migrator...

Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Tom. I actually follow both the Iway and WebFocus boards. The only way I know to do this is to put the FILEDEF command into a Data Migrator stored procedure (not to be confused with an RDBMS stored procedure) and to insert the Data Migrator stored procedure just before your data flow. Think of a Data Migrator stored procedure as being a traditional focexec. After you create the stored procedure, look under the Process flow tab on your data flow. You will see a start icon and your data flow icon. Break that connection, insert the stored procedure between the two and reconnect the links. In the Data Migrator stored procedure, you can use amper variables and dynamically create your dataset name. Another good person to ask is Clif from IBI (I'm sorry I cannot recall his last name at the moment). I'm not sure if he follows the WebFocus boards so it may be worth your while to repost this on the iWay forum.

Good luck.

Data Migrator 5.3, 7.1, 7.6
WebFOCUS 7.1, 7.6, 7.7
SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Clif Kranish.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Aha! See? I post on the I-Way board and I don't get five responses in a month let alone a day! Vindication! Oh the smell of victory is sweet.

I have never tried the Data Migrator Stored Procedure. Instead I spent a bit of time creating a traditional focexec and included it at the beginning of the flow. I don't have all the details worked out but that seems to be the solution I need.

You all shall receive cake. Thank you for taking the time.

J.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ok, it turns out that both options are correct, and in fact identical. I created a file via WF in the application directory and included it in the flow, which results in the exact same result as creating the same material with the Data Migrator "Stored Procedure" option. A simple flat file results with a .fex extension that I can drag-and-drop into the flow.

-SET &&OUTPUTNAME='E:\OutputLocation\' | &YYMD | '_CDC_Extract.xml';
FILEDEF ctdata DISK &&OUTPUTNAME

Just that simple. Thanks again everyone!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Have not been to the iWay forum lately as I don't have much to do with it. My involvement with DataMigrator usually consists of being called upon when my data warehousing guy needs an RPC (or DM Stored Procedure - call it what you like) to make his data flow work. Glad you got your problem resolved anyway.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post