Focal Point
[SOLVED] Refresh a Synonym

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1867051196

March 05, 2019, 09:22 AM
Shingles
[SOLVED] Refresh a Synonym
Hi All,

So... I know I've done this before, but something isn't working right now. We have a table that we bring into a synonym (a synonym with only one table in it, there's a special name for synonyms that reference only a single table right?). Anyhow, this table now has a new field that I need.

In AppStudio I have tried to sample the data. More specifically, I right click the mas file and select Refresh Synonym and I get a positive message back. When I sample the data right after, that field is missing. So that's weird.

If I open the synonym in AppStudio, the new field is there. And if I sample the data there the field does appear. So that's good.

In a fex file, when I try to access that field I get an error message saying that the field I'm trying to access does not exist. So that's not right.

In Reporting Server Console, if I navigate to that synonym and I sample the data, that field shows up. So that's good.

I've tried hitting Save (when possible) in the various interfaces above, but no dice.

I've also tried rebooting my machine (my machine gets really laggy if I keep App Studio on for a long time), but I still can'tt see that field in the fex.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Any tips on how I can use this new field in my fex?

In the past I've had to modify the mas manually, but I'm reluctant to do that. I feel I'll introduce other issues.

Thanks all!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8201, SP 0.1, Windows 7, HTML
March 05, 2019, 09:34 AM
Tony A
From your procedure, run WHENCE synonymname MASTER to ensure that there isn't another copy in your APP PATH somewhere.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
March 05, 2019, 09:36 AM
MartinY
It is possible that this master file also exist in another folder that have precedence (due to the Application Path) to the one that you look at.

Try this where the file is defined (exist). That will gives you the first location of the file:
WHENCE <your file name> MASTER

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007
March 05, 2019, 11:08 AM
Shingles
Thanks folks, that was it. A duplicate synonym with the same name. I inherited this environment.

WebFOCUS 8201, SP 0.1, Windows 7, HTML