Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Can't disable cache in drilldown graph
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Can't disable cache in drilldown graph
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi All,

I have an HTML bar graph displayed and when you click on a bar I am calling a fex that displays another graph with detail. As long as a user clicks a different bar in the 1st graph, the drilldown displays the correct data. If they click a bar that had been previously clicked the drilldown displays the cached graph. I cannot get the correct graph displayed correctly.

So the user clicks a bar, a new window is opened displaying the detail graph. He/she closes the child window and is back at the original report. He then clicks another bar without rerunning the original report to display another detail graph. This goes on and on. I think that since the original report is only executed once passing a random variable does not work to generate a new url.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Norb

prod:7.6.9, win2k3 mre, caster, bid, devstudio 7.6.9

Posts: 242 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: February 16, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
WebFocus has two different type of random numbers, which one do you use?

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I tried the RDNORM function in a call like this:

-SET &RAND = RDNORM('D12.2') * 100000;

Then in the drilldown:

TYPE=DATA, ACROSSCOLUMN=N2, TARGET='_blank', FOCEXEC=&DD1(LOC=LOCATION PERIOD='&PERIOD' RAND='&RAND'),$

Thanks.

Posts: 242 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: February 16, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Just to make sure I understand, are you saying that the user is not rerunning the original graph? If not, then your random number will not "randomize" again and you will not get a new URL. But to further clarify, if the user doesn't rerun the original graph, you are still expecting the subsequent drill-down to possibly change each time the user clicks on it over and over? If so, I'm assuming your data is volatile enough that it's changing in this short timeframe?

One option would be to not have the drill-down call a FOCEXEC but rather call a javascript function. That javascript function would have to generate a random number and then you'd have to call the fex from that javascript function (with AJAX or something).

You could also have the top level graph refresh occasionally, but that might get annoying if you're trying to click on it...

Production: 7.6.6 WF Server  <=>  7.6.6 WF Client  <=>  7.6.6 Dev Studio
Testing: <none>
Using MRE & BID.  Connected to MS SQL Server 2005
Output Types: HTML, Excel, PDF

Posts: 230 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
That is correct. The user is not rerunning the original graph. It remains open in a browser window while the detail (drilldown) graph opens in a new window. The user closes the detail window and returns to the original window and clicks another bar or the same bar. I agree that the number will not "randomize" again since the original fex is not re-running again.

The javascript is beyond my scope at this time, I'm afraid.

Thanks Trav.

BTW, didn't you present at Summit last year? I recall meeting you there.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Just so I have a context to relate to, can you give me a brief idea as to why/how the data is changing on that drill-down between the 2 clicks? Not saying it can't, we just don't have those scenarios around here that often.

...and yep, that was probably me. Smiler

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if this works but try this.

TYPE=DATA, ACROSSCOLUMN=N2, TARGET='_blank', FOCEXEC=&DD1(LOC=LOCATION PERIOD='&PERIOD' RAND='&RAND*&PERIOD'),$

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the environment setting EXPIRE_REPORTS? Accessible from Admin Console > Client Settings > General (Of course, this would affect all reports run on the server).

quote:
EXPIRE_REPORTS

The time when reports generated by the WebFOCUS Reporting Server are to be reexecuted. The expiration time is set in seconds, and the default setting is 300 seconds.

You can view a previously executed report on the browser without reexecuting its request. If the request for a report you are running is the same as the one executed previously (within 300 seconds), then the browser displays the previously executed report stored in the cache when you use the browser's Back, Reload, or Refresh button.

You can set EXPIRE_REPORTS in the following ways:

To ensure that the reports are reexecuted, set EXPIRE_REPORTS to 1 second.

To view the browser's cached output without using the browser's Back, Reload, or Refresh button, set EXPIRE_REPORTS to a large number, such as 4,000,000,000 seconds.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
O.K. So here is the deal:

I have a graph with 5 groups of bars. The groups represent physical store locations. Each group has 5 bars within it. The individual bars represent errors at . So "Location 1" has "Err1" for bar1, "Err2" for bar2, "Err3" for bar3, "Err4" for bar4, "Err5" for bar5 and then we start a new group of 5 bars for the next location. When a user clicks on Location1/Bar1, a window is opened that displays the detail graph and data for that location. They close the detail window and then click on Location2/Bar1 and they get a different detail graph and data. They close the detail window and then re-click Location1/Bar1 and the detail graph for Location2/Bar1 is displayed - NOT the Location1/Bar1 graph. Thus it appears that the graph is being cached.

Whew - I hope that is somewhat clear.

Thanks,

Norb

Expert
posted Hide Post
It sounds like either a bug or that the correct Location is not being passed in the URL when you click on the bar. Check the URL being passed when you click on the different bars. Are the URL's different, but the same graph is displayed - that's a bug. Are the URL's the same? That's a bug we have in v5.3.2 - We can't pass the value of the clicked-on bar from a simple bar graph.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I agree with Francis -- I don't think this is a cache issue. I mean it is in a roundabout way, but only in the sense that it's trying to pull an incorrect URL as Francis mentioned.

We have run into issues with the fact that NOPRINT fields are not passed in the URL in graphs.

But definitely take a look at the URLs and compare as Francis suggested. That should reveal something. Also, if that doesn't help, you might post your GRAPH FILE code with the drilldown snippets included.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi All,

Well the correct locations are being passed based on checking the amper variable in the drilldown report. I am unclear about the URL piece of it. HOWEVER, I was able to get the code to work correctly by saving the output to HTMTABLEs and then piecing it back together as between the HTMLFORM syntax. Yay! Don't ask me why it works though.

Thanks to everyone for their quick responses on this issue.

Norb

Expert
posted Hide Post
Norb
do you mean
you click on ENGLAND you get JAGUAR
you click on ITALY you get FERRARI
now you click on ENGLAND again and you get FERRARI?
Is that it?
Holy *&^%, batman.
Other than wishful thinking, that's so wierd.

Are you rolling your own, or gui'ing? If you're rolling your own, i'll give you some .js to pop up a window, or several windows. The windowname parameter will be directly controlled ...

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Susannah,

I'm saying - I click on England and I get Jaguar. I click on Italy and I get Ferrari. I go back and click on England again and I get Ferrari.

And yes maam, I am rolling my own. GUI? I don't need no stinkin' GUI. (Just kidding - for you film buff out there)

Any js you've got - I'll take as I want to learn this stuff and create the most powerful WebFocus applications the world has EVER KNOWN!!!!!! But I digress.....

Thanks,

Norb

Expert
posted Hide Post
Norb,

If you want to begin to learn JavaScript then you could do worse than search for "ugly javascript" in google. It will certainly help you with learning the basics.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tony. I've never thought of looking THAT up. ;-) I'm particularly interested since I want to improve not only my WebFocus apps but I really want to make an app for my iPhone.

See ya,

Norb

Expert
posted Hide Post
Norb,

Don't confuse Java with Javascript, they are two different beasts!! You will need Java for the app on your mobile device and JavaScript (or VBScript) for client side scripting in web pages (HTML, ASP, JSP etc.)

Oh, and talk about name dropping
quote:
for my iPhone
lol

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:

Any js you've got - I'll take as I want to learn this stuff and create the most powerful WebFocus applications the world has EVER KNOWN!!!!!! But I digress.....

Get in line... Big Grin

Tony... give us a break. I'm soooo in love with my iPhone ;-)

WF 8.1.05 Windows

Posts: 333 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: October 17, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tony,

I'll scope out the javascript as that is refereneced for the iPhone. I don't believe that Java is supported on that device at this time.

Norb

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Anatess,

I'm with you. I never thought I could really be so enamored with a device. The iPhone is really incredible.

Norb

Expert
posted Hide Post
Anatess,

quote:
I'm soooo in love with my iPhone

But it's an inanimate object for crying out loud! Let's open up a can of worms here ..... (situation normal)

Ok, I admit that it is a very nice piece of equipment but who needs a pricy piece of kit that will be outdated in next to no time?

My little Sony Ericsson works great, gets a good signal (well mostly) and allows me to do everyuthing that a mobile phone needs to be able to do - make calls!!

My favorite mobile? A Nokia 6310i, no nonsense, no camera, no mpg player, no longer made Frowner

Finally remember this the next time someones mobile rings when they are away from their desk -

A mobile phone is only mobile when you take it with you

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
T,

Here in Toronto, we can only buy unlocked phones from independent stores. The service providers sell all the big-nonsense phones - walkmen, cameras, video... We're light-years behind Europe and Asia, I think they sell all the cast-offs from overseas.

All I want is a no-nonsense unlocked phone, what replacement for the Nokia 6310i do you suggest? (Then again, since we're so far behind, I could probably pick one of those up for you if you like).

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It is indeed an inanimate object and I personally didn't see what the big hoopla was until I actually got my hands on one. It was love at first tap and swipe.

I find new uses for it almost everyday and it has truly brought some order to my life. Sound stupid? Well - if you ran from the seat of your pants and lost as many little notes and scraps of paper as I have then you may understand.

AND..... check this out.... I was in the grovery store the other day and saw that sea scallops were on sale. Not wanting to just sear them I surfed over to the iPhone webapp of the Food Network (htt://iphone.foodnetwork.com) and looked up a recipe for scallops. This kind of thing is just way too cool and there are more iPhone webapps coming all the time.

Anyway this was completely off topic but with the tap capability of the phone I'll bet there are ways to display a graph, tap a bar and drilldown into supporting detail. I'll bet you can't do that on your Nokia! And regarding locked/open phones? Who cares. Almost everyone here in the States gets a contract for 18-24 months. So where's the benefit of an open system. To me it's a non-issue.

Norb

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hey Norb, have you tried using it to prop up the corner of an uneven table leg yet? lol

I hear what you say about the iphone and can agree that these uses have got to be good - it's nice to know someone actually uses the facilities available instead of just having a "trophy" Wink

I have written WF reports designed to be accessed from a handheld device - my dell axim - wireless links, works well including graphs and drills, great fun(!) to write as well Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Tony! Shame on you! Use my beloved iPhone for a shim!

I've written some neat stuff goes to email and ultimately to Blackberries but we have to be logged into the network to make the in-line links, it contains, run a fex. It's kindof a bummer and I don't know how to work around this. Oh well.

Norb

Expert
posted Hide Post
Norb,

I just though it was a new idea that you hadn't already found Wink lol.
You could always watch your favourite dvd on it providing you are prepared to wait eons to load it of course!

As for WF on hand held devices, I think there's a big opportunity out there for delivery of WF reports but the momentum that was there has subsided recently - folks are probably too involved with other emails to deal with caster'd WF reports!!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Guru
posted Hide Post
Tony I get you... before my iPhone, i thought, i want a phone to call somebody. period. Hah... not anymore! Here's a great commercial for Apple:
We drove a thousand miles to houston over Thanksgiving with a 6-year-old and a 4-year-old in the backseat...
before leaving:
1.) what should i pack? whip out the iphone check on houston weather forecast for the whole week... no problem.
after 30 minutes of driving:
2.) Mom, are we out of florida yet? No dear... whip out my iphone with 10 episodes of backyardigans, my husband's iphone with 10 episodes of playhouse disney... here you go boys. (don't have dvd player in the van - we think kids should talk to us on the way to the grocery instead of watching TV)
in mobile, alabama:
3.) husband comments, hey, this place looks cool (went through a nice tunnel), i wonder how many people live here? whip out the iPhone, check latest census records for Mobile, Alabama...
in new orleans:
4.) impulsive husband suddenly gets off the freeway downtown and starts looking for a cajun restaurant. sigh. touch maps, search for cajun restaurant, map shows red flags of possible choices, touch on one, touch on the phone number, phone call straight through the restaurant for food choices, prices, directions... nice!
Baton Rouge:
5.) i-10 traffic at a stand-still... what is going on? grab the iphone, search for traffic news, wow, i-10 closed off due to natural gas explosion... touch maps, slide map over until possible alternate route found. no problem.
6.) husband start reminiscing about the old days where we used to rock to Skid Row... touch I-Tunes after passing by an open wifi zone, download "18 and Life" for 99 cents... (got that gadget that you put on the headphones jack that make the music go in your FM radio...) start rocking...
Houston:
7.) 2AM in houston... family all tired... parents open the door. Group hug! Whip out the iPhone, touch Camera, take a quick photo. Fall asleep on the air mattress.
8.) wake up in mid-morning go for a run, take the iPhone, strap to forearm, touch Clock, start timer, put headphones on and off we go.
9.) get home, dad flipping through the Wall Street Journal for his stocks... showed him the iPhone, touch stocks. then he starts telling me the intenirary for the week, touch Calendar enter them all in with one day and 2 hour reminders. check my emails, send some text messages, eat some lumpia for breakfast. and the day begins.
cool, huh?
wish it came with Flash player though. one of these days, i can put all my live-data presentations in it, hook it up to a projector and run a conference. that would be very nice.

Sorry for taking this thread down a wayward path... i couldn't resist. :-)

WF 8.1.05 Windows

Posts: 333 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: October 17, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What the **** is an iPhone?

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Holy Steve Wozniak, Anatess!

If I were you I would contact Apple and pitch your trip narrative for a new iPhone commercial. That is incredible. AND you should make some training movies because I don't know how to do all that stuff on the device.

Yowsa! I'm blown away!

Norb

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Really dhagen? Follow the link below, grab some Kleenex, and get ready to cry your little eyes out.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Norb