Focal Point
[CLOSED] Unable to access Report caster

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/18810622

February 27, 2009, 05:26 AM
<Radha>
[CLOSED] Unable to access Report caster
When I am trying to access report caster I am getting the following error message :

"Unable to communicate with the Distribution Server to obtain configuration information. Please confirm that the Distribution Server is started and that the values of the Distribution Server server host and port are correct. "

What can be the possible fix?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,
February 27, 2009, 07:48 AM
MattC
Look at the database that RC is using. I had the same issue and my issue was caused by there were no records in any of the tables. I migrated everything from another environment and I was able to log in.

There just has to be a user setup in I think BOTGUSER table.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
February 27, 2009, 09:42 AM
GinnyJakes
Radha,

Are you the WF Admin, i.e. did you install it or did someone else? Regardless of the answer, you need to go to the WF installation guide for your platform and go through the installation verification and trouble-shooting sections.

A couple of questions you might want to answer:

Are you the only one having a problem?
Are you getting to RC from MRE or a browser or Dev Studio?
Are you using your MRE id for RC authentication?
Can you get to the RC login page? Link would be something like this:

http://your_web_server/rcaster/main/reportcaster.jsp

Try and work through these questions and let us know the answers.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
February 27, 2009, 09:52 AM
Kamesh
1. Are you sure your Reportcaster server is up and running?

2. Do you have IIS and Tomcat through Jakarta? OR just IIS.

3. If it is IIS and Tomcat, are you sure that works?

4. Check the Reportcaster log?

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat
March 03, 2009, 05:38 AM
<Radha>
1. As of now we just have a single ID n pw and everyone uses the same and everyone is facing the problem.
2. We are using a browser to access RC.
3. We are able to get to the login page. The error message pops up once we give in the credentials.
4. When we opened the log file we observed, : "Distribution Server stopped".
5. We are using IIS.

What are the different ways of starting the Distribution server ? When accessed through Web console link, there are four special services: FDS, SCHEDULER, JSCOM3 and DFM. Is it mandatory that all of these need to be active for the RC functioning ? Somehow, we are unable to start JSCOM3. Its says "failed to start".
March 03, 2009, 08:54 AM
Kamesh
Post the Reportcaster log.

You should find it under \\server\drive\webfocus71\ibi\Reportcaster71\log

and the filenames are scheduler.log and service.log.

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat
March 03, 2009, 09:18 AM
GinnyJakes
If the Distribution Server is stopped, go to the installation and configuration guide for your platform as I suggested before. It tells you how to start, stop and test the Distribution Server.

You are not going to be able to start the RCDS from the WF reporting server console. The DS is a completely different application. Of course, the RS must be working for RC to work but right now I'd concentrate on getting the Distribution Server up and running and being able to bring up the RC logon page.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
August 18, 2009, 08:40 AM
Phillip
The JVM (JSCOM#) is used by ReportCaster.

To fix this, you need to update the Windows "PATH" variable under "My Computer" - "Properties" - "Advanced" - "Environment Variables". The PATH must include the folder containing the file "jvm.dll"
e.g. append to the current PATH variable:
;C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_13\bin\client

WebFocus 7.1 On win2000 (webfocus admin)
Oracle 9i Aix (dba)
Oracle 10g RedHat (dba)
MsSql (dba)
Adabas 4 OpenVMS (dba + sysadmin)