Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] ReportCaster distribution to user who launched it

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] ReportCaster distribution to user who launched it
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I have a report caster job which is launched from a .fex using the following code:

-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN">
<HTML>
<BODY>
<BODY onload="document.submit1.submit()">

<FORM name="submit1" ACTION="/ibi_apps/servlet/DSTRUNNOW" METHOD="POST" ENCTYPE="application/x-www-form-urlencoded">
<input type="hidden" name="IBIB_scheduleid"     value="S99654d41s8339s4a88s867bs9aa287d58395">
<input type="hidden" name="IBIB_user"           value="manglum">
-*<input type="hidden" name="IBIB_parmFMONTH" value="!IBI.AMP.FMONTH;">
-*<input type="hidden" name="IBIB_parmFYEAR" value="!IBI.AMP.FYEAR;">

-*<input type="submit" value="submit">

</FORM>
</BODY>
</HTML> 

The report caster job is currently set up to attach the report to an email and send to me. I want to be able to have the email sent to the individual who ran the report caster job, in effect, emailing the report to themselves.

How would I go about doing that?

Do I need somehow to capture the value of &IBIMR_user which happens to be the prefix for our company emails? For example if &IBIMR_user=joesmith then email address=joesmith@mycompany.com

Thanks in advance for your help!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you are having some kick the ReportCaster job off manually. If this is the case then why not set the report up to be deferred and then it would no who was running the job and can then be set to email to the person who ran the report.

ReportCaster is for scheduled jobs which can perform email to static addresses, dynamic addresses, or distributions lists. The effort it would take to override settings of Report caster and dynamically set an email by user who kicked it off would not be worth the time.

WebFOCUS 8.2.02M
Windows
Server/8.2.02M
All Outputs

Posts: 43 | Location: Odessa, Florida | Registered: July 26, 2011Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MReeder:
...why not set the report up to be deferred and then it would no who was running the job and can then be set to email to the person who ran the report.

I was not aware of this functionality and don't know how to set that up. Is it easy to do? Yes, I am having the user kick the report caster job off manually using a button on an .html page.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Try this link for directions on adding a defer button to an HTML run report page.
http://infocenter.informationb...source%2Ftopic22.htm

This process has not changed in many versions for Developer Studio. You can search Technical content to find how to do this if you are using App Studio.

Very similar to adding a submit button only it sends it the deferred box. You will have to check with your reporting server admin if anything needs to be setup on the other side in order to allow you to run deferred. But this is a much simpler process than using ReportCaster.

WebFOCUS 8.2.02M
Windows
Server/8.2.02M
All Outputs

Posts: 43 | Location: Odessa, Florida | Registered: July 26, 2011Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Ive read up on this deferred functionality but I'm not sure it gets me where I want to go with my end users.

I do not want to simply "stash" the report to a location on the BI Portal. I want the user who is accessing the report to be able to have that report sent to themselves via email based on the criteria they select from the .html page so they can view it any time without having to access the BI portal, which our end users tend not to use.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:

I want the user who is accessing the report to be able to have that report sent to themselves via email so they can view it any time without having to access the BI portal

If they do access the portal to run the report, why do they not just save the result ? No need to email to themselves...
But I may mist some information... If the result need to be emailed to themselves, I supposed that the result may be in Excel...? So just save it...

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Actually Martin, not Excel but PDF.

Our company has a custom made dashboard which contains hyperlinks to our various reports. Our field users don't actually ever log into the BI Portal. We attempt to make things easier for them to access what they need.

Part of the convenience of having the email sent with the report attached is that depending on how big the report is, it can take a pretty long time to load. So simply setting your report criteria and hitting "send" to have the report generated and sent to you without tying up your tablet or phone waiting for the report to generate is a big convenience and service for our end users who are typically travelling from store to store and not sitting in an office as I do...lol.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Now we have a better understanding of your issue and need.

Personally, I don't know yet how can this be accomplished...

Since a RC job is "attached" to a user, your first thought : "Do I need somehow to capture the value of &IBIMR_user" may not work because the IBIB_scheduleid change for each IBIB_user.

An idea (not tested) could be to have only one schedule (as you have under your own name) but where the job (fex) will create a dynamic distribution list using the IBIMR_user that will become the "sent to".
That way you have one schedule used all the time by any who run the report but where he/she will receive the report is his/her mailbox.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

An idea (not tested) could be to have only one schedule (as you have under your own name) but where the job (fex) will create a dynamic distribution list using the IBIMR_user that will become the "sent to".
That way you have one schedule used all the time by any who run the report but where he/she will receive the report is his/her mailbox.

This is precisely the conclusion I came to earlier this morning but am not at all sure how to execute. I'm an extreme novice when it comes to DDL in webfocus.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
If they have access on the fly to run reportcaster they can access a link to run deferred. any report run deferred can be either emailed or saved to any user at their convenience. The deferred link can also be emailed to them so they can access the deferred location whenever the report is completed. So if they kick the report off and have to leave the office they will get an email when report is completed with a link to the report. This link and deferred location is specific to the userid running the reports.

I am still not finding how ReportCaster is easier than logging into the portal. I would also think licensing would become an issue.

deferred reports do exist outside of the portal. You could make these self service reports and place them outside of the portal for field users. they may still have to login for security purposes but would be outside the need for a portal to launch the deferred reports.

WebFOCUS 8.2.02M
Windows
Server/8.2.02M
All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MReeder:
If they have access on the fly to run reportcaster they can access a link to run deferred. any report run deferred can be either emailed or saved to any user at their convenience. The deferred link can also be emailed to them so they can access the deferred location whenever the report is completed. So if they kick the report off and have to leave the office they will get an email when report is completed with a link to the report. This link and deferred location is specific to the userid running the reports.

I am still not finding how ReportCaster is easier than logging into the portal. I would also think licensing would become an issue.

deferred reports do exist outside of the portal. You could make these self service reports and place them outside of the portal for field users. they may still have to login for security purposes but would be outside the need for a portal to launch the deferred reports.

the report caster job is already built. The end user wouldn't ever have to access report caster to schedule their own distribution. The idea is the they click an "email" button which executes the report caster job and dynamically changes the "send to" email address to the person who clicked the button. Nothing is easier than that for the end user ;-)

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
My feeling is that you’ll have to incorporate the use a dynamic distribution list for whichever user is running the schedule which will require the capturing of said users identity. I’m still unclear as to whether or not the “email” button to which you refer is inside or outside of WF. If the page containing an “email” button is within a WF dashboard or portal then it’s easy to grab IBIMR_user. If not, you’re going to have to pass the users identity to WF (I’m not sure how that’s accomplished, though). If every user will be running the same schedule then the schedule ID will not change.

8.8.09 - z/Linux (WF, Report Caster, Report Library).
Iway FFS on MVS (HFS)

Posts: 36 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: December 05, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
You want a dynamic distribution list. It is a distribution method just like email address or distribution list. This is where a 2nd fex runs and creates the distribution list. The 2nd fex grabs the user id and generates the appropriate distribution file in xml format. Seems pretty straight forward to me as long as you can grab the user id of the person submitting the job.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is precisely the conclusion I came to earlier this morning but am not at all sure how to execute

Search for Dynamic Distribution List in Knowledge Base.
Basically, what you will need to do is to create a fex that will generates the Dynamic Distribution list.
Something such as this (and the WHERE clause seems to work properly and extract the proper info) :
SET ASNAMES = ON
-* EXTRACT USER ID & E-MAIL
TABLE FILE USER_NAME_EMAIL
BY USER_ID    AS 'VALUE'
BY USER_EMAIL AS 'DEST'
WHERE USER_ID EQ '&IBIMR_user';
ON TABLE PCHOLD
END
-RUN

Then you will need to have the USER_ID added to your report data to be able to burst (if it's the goal).
Then have the above fex selected as the distribution method in RC.

But I have the same concern than Craig :
quote:

If every user will be running the same schedule then the schedule ID will not change

So I can't say how your "Send To" button will make RC react when more than one user will click the button at the same time...

In Focus since 2007

Master
posted Hide Post
Martin, that shouldn't be an issue. When a schedule runs it gets a unique job id, it's own agent, etc. 50 people could run the job at the same time and it wouldn't matter.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I cant thank all of you enough for the input! Extremely valuable info here.

I believe the DDL is the way to go and I'll pursue that course of action.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
But I have the same concern than Craig :
quote:

If every user will be running the same schedule then the schedule ID will not change

So I can't say how your "Send To" button will make RC react when more than one user will click the button at the same time...[/QUOTE]

Yes, the issue of what happens when multiple users try and execute the request (and thusly repopulate the DDL is something I have to think about.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craig Thummel:
My feeling is that you’ll have to incorporate the use a dynamic distribution list for whichever user is running the schedule which will require the capturing of said users identity. I’m still unclear as to whether or not the “email” button to which you refer is inside or outside of WF. If the page containing an “email” button is within a WF dashboard or portal then it’s easy to grab IBIMR_user. If not, you’re going to have to pass the users identity to WF (I’m not sure how that’s accomplished, though). If every user will be running the same schedule then the schedule ID will not change.

The email button is on a page within WF, so grabbing the user ID wont be an issue.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Manglum

I am thinking you may need to use the ReportCaster Web Servcies API to run this schedule and have the user ID as part of that. This is an extra cost feature called Web Services Enablement so if your company does not own it you won't be able to try it...

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
As jgelona posted, there won't be a problem with multiple users running the same schedule at the same time. Each execution of a report will run under a unique reporting server agent (tscomid) which holds all if it's temp files in a unique directory. Also, as Chuck stated, Web Services is another way to go but if you don't have it someone will have to pay for the licensing.

8.8.09 - z/Linux (WF, Report Caster, Report Library).
Iway FFS on MVS (HFS)

Posts: 36 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: December 05, 2006Report This Post