Focal Point
[CLOSED] How to connect Progress Database using Webfocus

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1907070686

April 06, 2017, 07:25 AM
Kalai
[CLOSED] How to connect Progress Database using Webfocus
Hi Everyone

I need to connect progress data without adapters. How connect progress database using webfocus script?

Could you help this.

Thanks in advance

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
April 06, 2017, 09:50 AM
Hank W.
Short answer: You can't, that is what the adapters are there for.

OK, so if you need data... If it is a batch job, making a SQL extract off Progress to a flat file and then doing the eyecandy off that might will work, done something similar from mainframe stuff back in the day. Or piggybacking on a database you have an adapter for, invoking a stored proc going to fetch from Progess and populating that way, I say batch as this kind of stuff has lags...

Of course, a young guru might write and invoke some crazy script to do this even for adhoc to show off it can be done...

An old guru like me would sigh deeply and look with sad eyes and take the same attitude as to a 3-year old wanting candy in the store and say no.

If it is not just a one-off, it is cheaper in the long run to buy the adapter than to first pay someone to code that kind of jive and then someone to maintain it.

Cheers,
H.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Oracle 11g - DB2
RedHat
April 06, 2017, 10:08 AM
Hank W.
Or, if it is a full OpenEdge suite residing there, you might be able to use the OpenEdge WebServices to fetch the data. Not tried actually if you could invoke a PROGRESS language fetch with a script from FOCUS directly, but you can invoke scripts, handling the return is a bit challenging.

Cheers,
H.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Oracle 11g - DB2
RedHat
April 07, 2017, 11:38 AM
FP Mod Chuck
Kalai

I agree with Hank's wisdom. Adapters are cheap compared to having custom code to maintain. The Progress adapter is a native adapter not just ODBC so it should perform well.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats
April 11, 2017, 09:26 AM
Frans
You can however use a generic jdbc and use the Progress jdbc driver. As far as I know, not sure, generic JDBC is free.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.
April 11, 2017, 12:18 PM
BabakNYC
I believe even a Generic JDBC would count towards your Adapters once you configure it.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows