Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] AJAX Technology Recommendations

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] AJAX Technology Recommendations
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
We are predominantly a Microsoft shop, however we can be flexible. What is best to use for our coming AJAX backend services. We can write ASP.NET based pages in any of their varies forms, but also might we consider technologies such as PHP or Node.js? Do any of these pose possible technology conflicts with WebFocus (ie. will setting them up screw up WebFocus)? I see a lot of Javascript front end examples and this is not a problem, but we need reassurance that altering our currently 8.1 and coming 8.2 servers will not cause trouble and conflicts in our servers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8.2.04 (and climbing)
Windows 10, AppStudio

Expert
posted Hide Post
I think this all depends on what you are going todo with WebFOCUS.

Just call reports, or use the use Web related content.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
So far we just do reports. What's the web related content? It sounds interesting. Can you point me at a primer? Anyway, what's the recommended backend tech for Windows boxes?

I should reiterate, there is concern about installing things on our WebFocus server. Because of javascript's sandbox restriction, the chosen technology must sit benignly next to WebFocus under IIS.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mbondr,

Windows 10, AppStudio

Expert
posted Hide Post
This is where things get complicated.

Do you need to log into WebFOCUS to run the fexes ?

If so, then I think you need to check out RESTful Web Services

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
We need to reload some backend data and then refresh the page to see the results. WCF seems to kill WebFocus, at least enabling HTTP Activation does. So now I'm thinking Node.js, but I saw a mention of using a servlet stationed within the WebFocus directory tree.

Windows 10, AppStudio

Expert
posted Hide Post
Whats WCF ?

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Gold member
posted Hide Post
It's how Microsoft does deamons. It's a bit like a Java service in that it has stubs, WSDL's, and SOAP wrappers. Lately they've been pitching a REST'ive version that just emits JSON or XML.

Windows 10, AppStudio

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Found a mention of using servlets in the WebFocus directory tree itself to catch the socket connections.

Windows 10, AppStudio

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'd look into ASP.NET Core 2.1 and Signal R for sockets. We're working to implement a .NET Core backend ourselves among the rest of our new stack. Looking very promising.

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Our problem is that we can't enable HTTP Activation. It kills WebFocus. So no web service projects. And our system manager won't turn on ASP.NET without IBI approval, which is essentially impossible to get.

If you're using raw sockets, then almost anything will do.

Windows 10, AppStudio

Expert
posted Hide Post
How does it kill WebFOCUS ?

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Not sure. Everyone doing development suddenly got up and complained that it wasn't working. It was a crisis. Turning off HTTP Activation and restarting IIS restored the status quo.

Windows 10, AppStudio

Expert
posted Hide Post
I wonder if you need to debug that.

Sounds like its going to make too many waves.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984