Focal Point
[CLOSED] Connect Multiple As400

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1941076813

February 17, 2009, 07:19 PM
neerajk
[CLOSED] Connect Multiple As400
We have 10 different warehouse each having AS400.
Our issue is when creating metadata over the data we would like to create it for one database (one As400 Warehouse) and then be able to dynamically connect to other warehouse and their metadata by some programmable method.

Can this be done or do we need to create metadata for every instance of the database?
Can we dynamically connect to different AS400?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,
February 17, 2009, 08:06 PM
Frans
Yes you can re-use the meta data and dynamically connect.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.
February 26, 2009, 02:10 AM
neerajk
Thanks for your Response.

Can you please provide steps(sample code) to dynamically connect to AS400 from procedure and choose metadata at run time.
February 26, 2009, 06:07 AM
GamP
neerajk,

When you create your meta data (master/access files) you'll notice that the access file contains the connection info. This name refers to the connection string that you can specify in (among other places) the edasprof.prf file.
The only thing you need to do is to come up with a way to decide which data warehouse to use and issue the correct connection command for that warehouse using the connection name as specified in your access file(s).
I've done this for one of my client to be able to report from the current or from a history warehouse, so I know it works that way.

Hope this helps..

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988