Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Today (output) function in Define

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Today (output) function in Define
 Login/Join

<Leah Bell>
posted
I am trying to create a define field that always has the current date so that I can use it in a where statement to say filter on trans_date where trans_date < Today's Date and tran_date >(Today's Date - 36 months). Is the Today (output) function the one to use or is there another one? I am getting errors when I check the define statement. Help anyone?

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
G'Day Leah,

Try TODAY/DMYY = '&DATEDMYY'. It works for me.

Cheers

Andrew W

Posts: 27 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: May 27, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Leah,If your transdate is a smart date,
then you want to translate the system date &YYMD (which is 20040816) into a smart date.
You can do it in dialog manager
-SET &SMARTDAY = DAYMD(&YYMD,'YYMD');
so smartday is now 38214, which is a smartdate
and do a direct comparison in a filter
IF TRANSDATE GT &SMARTDAY
Point is, you gotta get both dates into the same format.(you know this already, right?)
Or you can do it in a define
TODAY/YYMD WITH somevar = &YYMD ;
or it might be that your define is bombing because it doesn't have the WITH varname, which you need because you're defining a constant.
Are we helping at all?

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<Leah Bell>
posted
How do I create a field on the report which shows the current date? I want to use a function to that. The problem I am having is where to define the beginning date and end date of my filter.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Leah,

If you just want a date printed such as 08/17/04 as part of the heading, you can just put the &DATE in your heading line.

"Reported on &DATE"

Leah Cross

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
<Leah Bell>
posted
I need to be able to pull in the system date (current date) and put it in a function (system date-36 months) and then use both the system date and the function result in a where statement to create a filter. Where can I pull the system date from into a function?

Report This Post
<Leah Bell>
posted
I have created a define for the current_date using
DEFINE FILE filename
TODAY/YYMD = '&YYMD';
Now I want to pull this into a where statement to filter on this created field. I am trying to say pull trans_dte where trans_dte less than current_date. I am getting an error message when I run the report saying that current_date is not a recognized field. Does any one know what step I would be missing? What is the correct way to pull in a field created in a define into a where statement?

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
G'Day Leah Bell,

I'm getting a little confused but I'll try to help.

The TODAY/YYMD='&DATEYYMD' is the current date (presumably the system date is the current date). To get the date 36 months before the current date try another define like PASTDATE/YYMD = DATEADD(TODAY, 'M', -36).

Then your WHERE statement will be filtering on records between PASTDATE and TODAY.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Andrew W

Posts: 27 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: May 27, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Leah Bell,

Cool Here is some syntax that I use. &WHERE_SDATE and &WHERE_EDATE contain the values you appear to be looking for. I like to use Dialog Manager for things like this, this way I am always sure that the where gets passed to the RDBMS.

-SET &SDATE=&YYMD;
-SET &SDATEY=EDIT(&SDATE,'9999$$$$');
-SET &SDATEM=EDIT(&SDATE,'$$$$99$$');
-SET &SDATED=EDIT(&SDATE,'$$$$$$99');
-SET &CURMTHYR = &SDATEY | &SDATEM;
-SET &WHERESDATE = AYM(&CURMTHYR, -36 ,'I6');
-SET &WHERE_SDATE = &WHERESDATE | &SDATED;
-SET &WHERE_EDATE = &YYMD;
-RUN
-* Remove the -* below to type these values back to the screen (report).
-*-TYPE STARTDATE = &WHERE_SDATE ENDDATE = &WHERE_EDATE
-*-RUN
-*-EXIT