Focal Point
[CLOSED] ODBC vs JDBC

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1957023886

November 15, 2017, 09:59 AM
Kyle Roth
[CLOSED] ODBC vs JDBC
What are the Pros and Cons of using ODBC vs JDBC adapters? If we license these can many database connections be configured with either adapter, or just a single connection? Has anyone used both and found one superior to the other. We are attempting a connection to the Amazon cloud, and SnowFlake databases.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
November 15, 2017, 10:28 AM
Frans
You can only use one type of DB with a generic JDBC. Only use Generic if there is no adapter available, queries are better optimized with specific adapters.

If you want to use 1 adapter, you could go for an option with Apache Drill in between.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.
November 15, 2017, 12:50 PM
FP Mod Chuck
Hi Kyle

Glad to see your first post on Focal Point. It is a great forum for getting answers. I miss my visits to UNM but am enjoying retirement and part time work as the moderator.

With the generic JDBC adapter as long as you have the appropriate jar file in the CLASSPATH for the DBMS you want to access you can set up multiple connections. My personal opinion is the JDBC is more robust than ODBC. I do agree with Frans that the native adapters are still better to use as the SQL translated is specific to that adapter. I have not used Amazon Cloud or Snowflake so can't comment on them specifically.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats