Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Master file not found

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Master file not found
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi everybody,

Last year I created a few reports with Developer Studio. They were all very simple reports that have a focexec file and an HTML file and they are all working fine, however I tried to edit an HTML file recently and I noticed I cannot open an HTML file in design view anymore and I get the error "the filename.mas could not be found." . I tried recreating the file but the problem is that the design view is not available anymore and the only option is text editor. When I open the file in text editor (which is the only option) and edit it, it breaks the report and it won't find any data after that. I really need to edit the html files since I'm passing more parameters to the reports.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFocus 7.1
Developer Studio

Posts: 35 | Location: Tallahassee,Florida | Registered: March 16, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the metadata (.mas [master], .acx [access]) for a table you're using in this program is no longer in a folder that is in the App Path.

Use the WHENCE command to determine if the master can be found by WebFOCUS. If it can be found, the command tells you which App Folder it's in. If you get the message (FOC1892) FILE NOT FOUND : xxx MASTER, the master cannot be found. Someone may have moved it to a folder that is not in the App Path or the master was inadvertently deleted. The Dev Studio GUI tool requires the Master.

WHENCE table-name MASTER
e.g.:
WHENCE CAR MASTER

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The 'master not found' error is related to pathing and can usually be easily fixed. First, do you know where the master is? Has it been moved since you last did any work on the application?

The master must be in an available directory depending on where you run the page/focexec from. Since you appear to be getting the error from the HTML page and you are most probably referencing a master to populate a dropdown box, the master is not in the directory where the focexec is and the one referenced in the IBIAPP_app variable. You can add another directory to that variable by saying
IBIAPP_app="dir1 dir2" 
where one of those is the directory where the master is. That will take care of execution time from the browswer.

For development, it helps if you add the directory where the master is to your personal profile. If you are not an admin, in your release you will have to have an admin update it for you.

If it is a master used by the entire enterprise, you can add the master directory to the path in the global profile, edasprof.prf.

This is just a start but hopefully I've given you some direction as to where to look.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you everybody for responding,

I'm sorry, I should've mentioned this in my first post, but I have made sure that the focexec file and the HTML file are in the same directory. I can see the master file in the directory, I know it's there, but when I go to the design view of the html files (where I get the error) after I say OK to the error and right click on the command button of the report and go to the hyperlink properties to define the source(the master file) again and tell it where it is, the source button doesn't do anything, it useed to let me browse and select what I wanted to use as my source file. The same thing has happened to all my reports. They still run fine in the browser and find the data and everything, but I can't make any modifications on my html files. All my files are in:WebFocus Environments/RemoteWebfocusServer/WebApplications/MyFolder

Any Ideas?

Thank you

WebFocus 7.1
Developer Studio

Posts: 35 | Location: Tallahassee,Florida | Registered: March 16, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Can you describe your environment in more detail? It sounds like you have a split environmnet, web stuff on one machine and reporting server on another? If you are on the Web Apps side, the masters aren't there. So do your development in Data Servers and I'll bet your problem disappears.

And don't forget that after you save your page and it is the way you want, copy it to the web apps side for deployment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GinnyJakes,

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
...do your development in Data Servers... after you save your page and it is the way to want, copy it to the web apps side for deployment.

Now that's a trick they didn't teach us in WebFOCUS school! Thanks for the tip.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
We had a split env for awhile and it drove the business developers crazy. You do the web page development on Data Servers where all the masters and focexecs are. But then they would complain that when they ran their web pages from the browser, they didn't see the changes. It took me awhile to get them all trained to do the copy.

I think Robab's problem is that he is doing the development backwards. His last post was very enlightening.

Ginny

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Ginny, This is exacty what I've been doing. Here is what my webfocus environemt looks like:

Developers Sudio Desktop
Webfocus Environments
Webfocus Serrver
Data Servers
EDASERVE
Applications
My Folder here(contains focexec,html file, master file and acx file)

Web Applications
Copy of my folder here

Thank you

WebFocus 7.1
Developer Studio

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I had the right indentation to show the directories and subdirectories but that disappeared when posted. So I'll do my best here:

-Developers Sudio Desktop
--Webfocus Environments
---Webfocus Serrver
----Data Servers
-----EDASERVE
------Applications
-------My Folder here(contains focexec,html file, master file and acx file)
----Web Applications
-----Copy of my folder here

WebFocus 7.1
Developer Studio

Expert
posted Hide Post
You don't indicate whether Web Applications is on a different server than the reporting server.

Regardless, do your development from Data Servers/EDASERVE/Applications rather than Web Applications and I'm sure that things will work as you expected, possibly even the GUI tool for your html page.

Ginny

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Ginny,

They are both on the same server.

Thank you,

WebFocus 7.1
Developer Studio

Expert
posted Hide Post
Regardless, do your development in Data Servers/EDASERVE/Applications/your_directory.

Ginny